Diesel and kerosene 50/50 mix?

/ Diesel and kerosene 50/50 mix? #31  
Nice article, some good information but it is lacking quite a bit of information.
While additives can and will lower the cloud point of fuel when you start with #2 and lower it you may not get it lowered enough. That is why I add anti gell additives to blended fuel,
the additive lowers the cloud point of the blended fuel to a lower value then it can the unblended.
It would be nice to find an article that actually had compared the different fuels and blends and additive mixes and looked for the cloud point at lowering temps. Years ago( a couple of decades)
I seem to remember seeing such a chart. Can't find it now a days.

/ Diesel and kerosene 50/50 mix? #32  
I am running summer fuel right now about 50 gal left in my bulk tank with double dose power service white jug no problems at all:thumbsup:

/ Diesel and kerosene 50/50 mix? #33  
Lem so gas has lube but kerosene doesn't ?

I was just wondering why I couldn't use kero in my diesel tractor and got on line and googled it and they gave me that excuse, but my neighbor drove T&T's across country and he said he put 10 gal per tank of diesel for years and never had any trouble with it. Gasoline I don't know it it has any lube to it or not. Could in any case use Marvel Mystery Oil for the lube. It cleans and lubes the pumps etc.

/ Diesel and kerosene 50/50 mix? #34  
Kerosene or #1 fuel oil has less lubricity then #2, either of them has much more then gasoline
My operators manual for the Branson states to use Winter fuel when the temp. is below 50 degrees F. Winter fuel depending on your point of view is either blended or straight #1.
Some people get lucky for awhile using #2 and additives, that will depend on your temperatures and to a certain extant on your fuel, different fuels can have different cloud points.
Get gelled one time and have to fight it in the cold and snow, it will change your perspective on how to handle fuel. I would never recommend adding gas to diesel, it was the old method
to ungell a system, it is a last resort, I have seen injection pumps that seized because of gasoline.

/ Diesel and kerosene 50/50 mix? #35  
Lem so gas has lube but kerosene doesn't ?

I talked to a friend who works for the state dept in Va. and they were told to use the Bio Diesel in their truck and they have been having lots of trouble using that stuff. Having to replace all the fuel lines and even the fuel tanks on the trucks that they work out of. I am staying away from the Bio Fuels of any kind.

Don't know if gasoline has any lube to it or not. Think where the lube is needed is the fuel pump on the diesel is pumped and forced thru the injectors and into the engine.

/ Diesel and kerosene 50/50 mix? #36  
Gasoline is not lubricious. European diesels are designed to operate with biodiesel because the Euro spec requires 7% biofuel content in diesel.

One of the problems with switching to biodiesel, is its greater solvent properties, and therefore it tends to clean everything out that was left there by conventional diesel, thus plugging everything up. On older vehicles, the rubber, seals, and gaskets are affected by biodiesel. Anything recent should be fine though, especially if it's the only thing you've ever run in your vehicle.

/ Diesel and kerosene 50/50 mix? #37  
Gasoline is not lubricious. European diesels are designed to operate with biodiesel because the Euro spec requires 7% biofuel content in diesel.

One of the problems with switching to biodiesel, is its greater solvent properties, and therefore it tends to clean everything out that was left there by conventional diesel, thus plugging everything up. On older vehicles, the rubber, seals, and gaskets are affected by biodiesel. Anything recent should be fine though, especially if it's the only thing you've ever run in your vehicle.

As Marchanna said biodiesel has some downsides especially in vehicles that have been running on regular diesel their whole life but on benefit is that biodiesel has some of the best lubricity out of any fuel or additive. See the link below but if you have access to biodiesel it’s a great additive especially for summer to help lubricity.

Lubricity Additive Study Results - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

I use Optilube XPD in the winter for anti-gel and lubricity purposes and the Optilube Summer for the lubricity and cetane boost the rest of the year. Has been great so far with no gel issues. And no I have nothing to do with Optilube just like the results I’ve had with them so far. Wish I could get biodiesel for a summer additive but no where around here seems to have it.

David

/ Diesel and kerosene 50/50 mix? #38  
Their XL formula has even better lubricating properties than their XPD. It doesn’t have any cetane boost or cold flow in it though.

/ Diesel and kerosene 50/50 mix? #39  
Their XL formula has even better lubricating properties than their XPD. It doesn’t have any cetane boost or cold flow in it though.

Agreed. The XPD and the Summer are really compromises. I wish they could come up with a formula with the lubricity if the XL and the anti-gel of the XPD with the cetane boost of the summer formula!

/ Diesel and kerosene 50/50 mix? #40  
It’s all marketing and packaging. That’s why I buy all my additives separately and dose each one accordingly. It’s a little more inconvenient measuring out into small bottles, but it’s a reasonable trade off in my opinion.