diesel block heater

/ diesel block heater #21  
never have seen a battery heater.

They are just a cover for the battery with heating elements in it. Sorta like an electric blanket.:)

[QUOTJust for the record I put a Kat's 11434 40mm 400 watt in my TC55 this week and it only lasted two nights. Won't heat and it tests open at the heater pins with an ohm meter. It looked like a quality product, cast brass with a stainless cap screw for the internal spreader. Seller is sending an exchange. I'm going to email Kat's next week.E][/QUOTE]

Does this heater require a specific vertical orientation for proper operation.:)

/ diesel block heater #22  
[QUOTJust for the record I put a Kat's 11434 40mm 400 watt in my TC55 this week and it only lasted two nights. Won't heat and it tests open at the heater pins with an ohm meter. It looked like a quality product, cast brass with a stainless cap screw for the internal spreader. Seller is sending an exchange. I'm going to email Kat's next week.E]

We sure are hearing about a lot of block heater failures. What do you think is going on? This is the same technology that is well worked out for electric hot water heaters. I've got block heaters in 5 diesels and some are 30 years old now and all work the same as new. Why?
rScotty

/ diesel block heater #23  
I bought the Kat's from Amazon. I processed a return on Saturday and It arrived on Mon. morning. Installed it yesterday. I probably do start my engine with the heater plugged in but then unplug it. The element measures 35 ohms so the wire must be pretty small gage to be only 2 inches long. Probably coiled Ni-Chrome. I could see how at 400w if the heat wasn't transfered away the element could melt. We'll see what this one does.

/ diesel block heater #24  
It's not air. It's flow separation of the coolant and if the velocity in the water jacket is high enough the flow can cavitate. Nonetheless, separated flow transfers much less heat than attached flow so the element gets hotter on the downstream side when this occurs.

Thats an interesting theory Jerry I cant say I don't believe it anything is possible but I would still doubt it has anything to do with starting an engine with it plugged in is going to hurt the heater I have done it on diesel vehicles forever.

I have never read it not saying it isn't published just I probably had thrown the instructions away is all by that point in the install.

Mainly my point of view is based on simply there would be little if any actual flow on a cold engine where the thermostat is most likely closed even though the heater has done its job it will (probably) never get the coolant temp high enough to open the thermostat at least mine wont.

My biggest fear is driving off with the cord still attached that's what will hurt my heater more than anything and why I unplug mine first! :)
Until that point the coolant can move if there is a bypass like my Yanmar has but it is only a 3/8" passage I doubt that would create a cavitation scenario but thats my way of thinking.

Last edited:
   / diesel block heater #25  
Just an update. The new heater seems to be working fine. Left it plugged in for two days and it's still working. The unit sizzles the water in the jacket. Surprising for only 400w. I'm sure it more the watt density vs. the total wattage.

/ diesel block heater #26  
Just an update. The new heater seems to be working fine. Left it plugged in for two days and it's still working. The unit sizzles the water in the jacket. Surprising for only 400w. I'm sure it more the watt density vs. the total wattage.
As long as it heats the water, and the tractor starts easier..............you are in great shape:thumbsup:

/ diesel block heater #27  
I have never read that anywhere? Lets look at it rationally...its submerged so where would the air come from that separates the element just my observation?

Trust me, you start 'em up while they're plugged in. Good chance you'll need a new Kats heater. Installed one yrs ago, right on the instructions, unplug before starting.

/ diesel block heater #28  

/ diesel block heater #29  
My vote is for the block heater. But i've used Kats on a couple of old 140hp tractors. Worked good.

/ diesel block heater #30  
They are just a cover for the battery with heating elements in it. Sorta like an electric blanket.:)

[QUOTJust for the record I put a Kat's 11434 40mm 400 watt in my TC55 this week and it only lasted two nights. Won't heat and it tests open at the heater pins with an ohm meter. It looked like a quality product, cast brass with a stainless cap screw for the internal spreader. Seller is sending an exchange. I'm going to email Kat's next week.E]

Does this heater require a specific vertical orientation for proper operation.:)

I can't think of where orientation of the element in the block is going to matter at all(as long as the element doesn't touch the block), but then again............I'm still learnin:)