Diesel bogging and stalling

/ Diesel bogging and stalling #1  

davesill

Tractor
New Holland TC30
I've got a New Holland TC30 3-cyl diesel that I bought used a couple years ago. I've never had any problems with it.

I bush hogged 3-4 hours on Saturday without any difficulty. After a couple hours on Sunday it suddenly bogged. I pressed the clutch in and it recovered. A few minutes later it did the same thing. It gradually worsened until it stalled, even with the clutch depressed. It started right up again, though. This continued for while, but it got a little harder to restart every time.

It happened going uphill, downhill, and level.

Any ideas? I'm not a mechanic.

/ Diesel bogging and stalling #2  
Check & replace the fuel filter.
90cummins

/ Diesel bogging and stalling #3  
Fuel flow/starvation

Filter is the first place I would look...

Some of us have had issues with blockages in the tank due to rust, bad fuel or algae...

Also make sure the fuel cap vent is unobstructed if it is vented...

I've dealt with all of the above at one time or another on various vehicles.

/ Diesel bogging and stalling #4  
Could it also be air (filter)? The screens on my tractor can get clogged within just 15 minutes sometimes when mowing in tall weeds (though have not experienced it bogging motor).

/ Diesel bogging and stalling
Filter was my first suspicion. Googling the symptoms turned up possible MAP sensor failure, but I don't even know if the TC30 has one.

Is the sudden onset and gradual worsening typical of a clogged filter? Should be easy and cheap to try, though.

Thanks for the advice!

/ Diesel bogging and stalling
Could it also be air (filter)? The screens on my tractor can get clogged within just 15 minutes sometimes when mowing in tall weeds (though have not experienced it bogging motor).

I have to keep an eye on the temp and periodically stop and shake the seeds off the screen. It definitely wasn't overheating. Haven't looked at the air filter, though. That's a definite possibility. Thanks!

/ Diesel bogging and stalling #7  
I've got a New Holland TC30 3-cyl diesel that I bought used a couple years ago. I've never had any problems with it.

I bush hogged 3-4 hours on Saturday without any difficulty. After a couple hours on Sunday it suddenly bogged. I pressed the clutch in and it recovered. A few minutes later it did the same thing. It gradually worsened until it stalled, even with the clutch depressed. It started right up again, though. This continued for while, but it got a little harder to restart every time.

It happened going uphill, downhill, and level.

Any ideas? I'm not a mechanic.

Most probable cause is inadequate fuel delivery. Clogged fuel tank strainer, restricted fuel line between tank and fuel filter or fuel filter to injector pump, clogged fuel filter, lose fuel line fitting sucking air, cogged fuel tank vent are among the usual culprits for this kind of problem. A clogged air filter can certainly cause a problem and is easy to check. If you have a MAP sensor it should cause a dash light to go on. However, restricted fuel delivery is the most likely cause.

You live in the SE part of the country where high humidity can be a problem causing water condensation and bacterial sludge contamination of the fuel. In the future keep the tank as full as possible to minimize condensation

/ Diesel bogging and stalling #9  
The above threads about the fuel filter are the most likely culprit. I have a TC 29 that may have the same engine, or almost the same. It had fuel starvation and it was caused by a clog in the fitting on the intake side of the filter. A small particle from the fuel tank clogged the fitting. You can check this by removing the filter bowl and turning on the fuel.

There is another possible cause too. Gasoline contamination of the fuel. Having some gasoline in the fuel will do exactly what you describe, I did it on mine and the symptoms were as you described. Is there any way you could have contaminated the fuel with some gasoline?

/ Diesel bogging and stalling #10  
I had this issue once and found real little plastic piece from the nozzle on one my plastic 5 gallon cans had got in line and was causing it to bog down. It would idle fine but under full throttle it would get right up to the where goes into the lift pump(maybe I cant recall sorry) and plug it off some in that fitting took me a bit to find it cause once would get off and look around it wasn't causing it to at an idle. Just was a process of elimination