Diesel bogging and stalling

/ Diesel bogging and stalling
OK, thanks for advice. I'll replace the filter since it's cheap and easy, but while I'm in there, I'll try to make sure fuel is flowing freely. Should I drain the tank to make sure it's clean of water/sludge/contaminants, or is that premature?

I can pretty much rule out gasoline contamination because I've never mistakenly added gas and it's been running fine for 2+ years. I could have bought contaminated diesel, but that seems unlikely.

/ Diesel bogging and stalling #12  
I wouldn't bother draining the tank. Make sure you're getting fuel to the filter and look for any water in the filter bowl. Of course, change the filter and see if the cartridge is sludged up with algae. Your problem seems to be with fuel delivery.

/ Diesel bogging and stalling #13  
Davesill:

Had similar symptoms. Cleaned fuel bowl and replaced fuel filter. Checked the fuel petcock on the other side (cleaned out trash). Followed fuel line coming to lift pump and put a fuel filter inline (5/16 out and 1/4 in) and crud in my tank was not able to pass through to the petcock mesh filter. Runs and does not bog down.

Starkiller Hollow

/ Diesel bogging and stalling #14  
OK, thanks for advice. I'll replace the filter since it's cheap and easy, but while I'm in there, I'll try to make sure fuel is flowing freely. Should I drain the tank to make sure it's clean of water/sludge/contaminants, or is that premature?

I can pretty much rule out gasoline contamination because I've never mistakenly added gas and it's been running fine for 2+ years. I could have bought contaminated diesel, but that seems unlikely.

Verify the problem first. Then if it is warranted, clean the tank.

/ Diesel bogging and stalling #15  
Agree - verify & isolate problem first (fuel flow). Had to work my way back from injection pump - fuel filter - fuel petcock - fuel petcock screen - lift pump - line from tank - drain tank and install inline filter.

Most often solving problems are simple; it's usually me insisting on a complicated solution. The forum has saved me untold hours of "fun".

Starkiller

/ Diesel bogging and stalling #16  
Agree - verify & isolate problem first (fuel flow). Had to work my way back from injection pump - fuel filter - fuel petcock - fuel petcock screen - lift pump - line from tank - drain tank and install inline filter.

Most often solving problems are simple; it's usually me insisting on a complicated solution. The forum has saved me untold hours of "fun".

Starkiller

/ Diesel bogging and stalling #17  
I'd give it a good dose of Castor oil ("Snake Oil) and change the fuel filter when done. Power Services makes a good assortment of diesel cleaner uppers and are popular with a lot of folks, including me because they work. If they didn't work for me I wouldn't waste my time typing this for you. Don't follow the directions on the container initially........throw the brown jug over it's shoulder and give it a good couple of swigs of shine. Then find some real work for it and go through that tank of fuel. Do it again and then change the fuel filter and then follow the directions on the container adding more and keep it in your tractor(s) and in your stored fuel. Let us know the outcome.

That's pretty simple and even if it doesn't fix your problem, which it just might, you haven't lost anything and your engine will thank you for the effort.

/ Diesel bogging and stalling #18  
Why keep operating a machine with a known problem that is becoming progressively worse and drive it until it drops? Doing such often makes a low to medium priced repair into a medium to expensive repair bill.

/ Diesel bogging and stalling
Sorry for the delayed response. Finally got the filter changed and it's running great, so far. Thanks again!

/ Diesel bogging and stalling #20  
Always good to have feedback...

Glad you were able to get it solved!