Diesel differences

/ Diesel differences
This is what is mysterious about the little gem Izuzu diesel engine driving my 12.5 kw generator. It appears to be an injection engine virtually identical to the Yanmar. Yet, it really emits no diesel-like shudders (in the cold) nor any clatter. If you were around when it is running, you'd never know it was a diesel. You MIGHT possibly pick up a very faint hint of diesel for about a 1/2 second at startup after that glow period. No smoke; not much smell; certainly no real diesel smoke smell. It's a honey.

Really would like to hear from tractor owners that have Isuzu engines in them or maybe past Isuzu pickup owners when they had diesels.

Ralph

/ Diesel differences #52  
I'm looking forward to resuming work on my 12.5 KW Isuzu project.

DSC04384.JPG

Last edited:
   / Diesel differences #53  
It is no secret Yanmar supplies smaller displacement engines to Isuzu, they have been doing so since 2002.

Last edited:
   / Diesel differences #54  
So.....I looked up 12KW Isuzu generators. That is a direct-injection engine, like mine.

Your John Deere 2025R is not direct-injection, so there you have one difference between two Yanmar built diesel engines.

/ Diesel differences #55  
There's also a big compression difference:

The Isuzu generator engine is 19:1 compression, which seems normal.

The JD 2025R engine is 23.5:1, which seems crazy high to me.

I don't have any experience with high compression indirect injection engines to compare, but that is the type of diesel engine you seem to be unhappy with.

/ Diesel differences #56  
There's also a big compression difference:

The Isuzu generator engine is 19:1 compression, which seems normal.

The JD 2025R engine is 23.5:1, which seems crazy high to me.

Indirect injection diesels normally have a higher compression ratio that direct injection. Also as soon as you install a turbocharger the compression goes down some more.

/ Diesel differences #57  
Most interesting application I've seen for a small Isuzu diesel is for this cable car in rural Ecuador. It's under the canopy to the right of this photo. Noisy!

Photo source: this guy's travel diary. We did a similar trip by car in 2005 down the back side of the Andes to Puerto Misahualli, the end of the road where travel by dugout on the upper Amazon tributaries begins. Yes we went across here on the cable car! I can't imagine how the Incas got around in this terrain but they had intercity cobblestone routes everywhere like the Roman Empire.

2001-04-11.jpg

More pix: Google 'Ecuador cable car' and Rio Pastaza, also Banos.

/ Diesel differences #59  
My only experiences have been with one in a 2010 Ford dually. It ran well and never an issue with it.

The new LS is much better than the JD855 (Yanmar) I do not have a block heater on the LS. I wanted one and the dealer told me "save your money, you do not need one with these engines". The JD855 would not start without the heater plugged in and even then it belched smoked and ran rough until it warmed up.

Coldest I have had the LS operating is 10* and it was effortless. I idle it about 10 minutes to warm up the oil, but it runs smooth from the get go.

I have no idea what type of diesel it is but it works well.

/ Diesel differences #60  
Here's my 21kW Isuzu! Had it for 6 years, never needed to use it yet (knock on wood). Just gave her a maintenance run yesterday.

IMG_4046.jpg