Oil & Fuel Diesel engine emergency shut-off

/ Diesel engine emergency shut-off
Why didn't I think of that - leave the seat. The pull knobs are no longer neccessary when all you have to do is get off the seat. Thank you, Pineridge.

/ Diesel engine emergency shut-off #12  
...if the rack puller solenoid on the injector pump & associated wiring is working.

Original question was how to shut down the engine if turning off the key doesn't do it. Since turning off the key works through the same components described above as the seat/control safety switches, simply getting off the seat may not shut the engine down. It depends on where the failure occurs.

regards,

Mahlon

/ Diesel engine emergency shut-off #13  
<font color="blue"> I suppose clipping a wire to the solenoid which I can hear clicking when the switch is turned on would be an option. </font>

That may not work -- if the key didn't work, it could be that the solenoid is stuck ON, so clipping the wire will do no good.

If you don't have a manual shutoff (which I can't imagine you don't), then just begin removing the fuel filter -- as soon as air gets in the line, the engine will quit. Then you'll have to bleed the fuel lines later to get it going.

/ Diesel engine emergency shut-off #14  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">(

That may not work -- if the key didn't work, it could be that the solenoid is stuck ON, so clipping the wire will do no good.

)</font>

When you remove the power to the solenoid, the solenoid will close...... that is, if it isn't a solenoid that holds closed by electrical current. My guess is that all tractors that use solenoids are the type that open when power is applied to them. If they were the type that were held closed by power, then there would be a lot of dead batteries in the morning. Cutting the current to the fuel pump would be another alternative, or cutting the battery cable. The basic design of a solenoid is that if it fails, it will fail in its normally static state. I have never seen a solenoid that has failed in any other state, unless the points have burned together. This only happens on high amperage circuits such as starters, not fuel pumps.

/ Diesel engine emergency shut-off #15  
I think the simplest thing to do would be to take out the appropriate fuse. That is, if as suggested before, the PTO engaged and getting off the seat didn't work.

/ Diesel engine emergency shut-off #16  
Also and I don't know if tractors are set up this way (haven't looked on mine)... On my standby generator, there's a hot wire going to the injector pump. If yours is setup that way, you could just unplug this wire.

/ Diesel engine emergency shut-off #17  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Whatever you do, do not put your hand over the air intake to smother it..... )</font>

Ok !! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
Why Not ???? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ Diesel engine emergency shut-off #19  
Straight from my manual for my L3710 HST:

<font color="orange"> "When starting the engine after long storage (of more than 3 months), first pull the engine stop knob and then activate the starter for about 10 seconds to allow oil to reach every engine part." </font>

I also use this starting method in very cold (below zero) weather when the tractor hasn't been started for a week or so.

Here's a funny side note: It also says under Cold Weather Starting:

"To protect the battery and the starter, make sure that the starter is not continuously turned for more than 10 seconds."

So, I am to assume from the above info that I'm supposed to turn the engine over for "about 10 seconds" but not " more than 10 seconds"? /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif I better bring a stop watch with me.

Kevin

/ Diesel engine emergency shut-off #20  
One can also use that method after an oil change. On larger engines many have pre and post lube oil pumps that insure proper oil film for starting and a cool down period.

Egon