Diesel fuel in plastic "gas" cans

/ Diesel fuel in plastic "gas" cans #51  
Re: Diesel fuel in plastic "gas" cans

I use red plastic cans for gas and yellow for diesel. Hate to pour the wrong stuff into an expensive piece of machinery. :cool:

/ Diesel fuel in plastic "gas" cans #52  

Just thought I'd point out that this thread is almost 6 years old

/ Diesel fuel in plastic "gas" cans #53  

Seems that off road diesel (red) should go into red jugs? :laughing::laughing::laughing:

Just kidding. But I've used the red jugs for ten years until last year. Now I get my off road delivered into one of those white 220 gallon cubes. I just got it filled last week. Ouch! $458 for 180 gallons.:(

Ken

/ Diesel fuel in plastic "gas" cans #54  

LD1, Yea 6yrs old thread, I thought that this was pretty hashed out before. I even replied to it the thread back then too.

Last edited:
   / Diesel fuel in plastic "gas" cans #55  

Lot of new guys on here since 6 years ago:)

/ Diesel fuel in plastic "gas" cans #56  
Re: Diesel fuel in plastic \"gas\" cans

There's nothing posted at the pumps in Connecticut or Massachusetts (I live in CT, but only a couple miles from MA).
The person who told me about this is my Uncle who is a LONG time trucker so
1*I would think he would know what he's talking about. I've been using the red gas cans for almost a year, but he's certainly made me nervous - I got the cans when I bought my new JD5303 and marked them "Diesel Only" so they wouldn't have gas put into them. I haven't had any problems, but obviously am concerned now....
1*Contary to what you think I think he's full of it. :confused:

Ronjhall,
I guess they would not like me then! I fill up my 35gal. blue poly barrel as it sits in the back of my Caravan! And 2*it doesn't say diesel on it!
/forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif Of course the guys working at BJ's club aren't the brightest bulbs in the box! /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

2*Neither do these white ones of mine.
Ozarker.....

<font color="blueclass=small"> 3*They make colored cans for a reason. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif
3* The reason isn't because of quality function or construction .

I got my 5 gal diesel at NAPA for 11.00 -they always seem to keep them in stock. But I like the idea of a 30 gallon barrel full and to avoid lifting the can over the front end loader.My wife could fill it up herself that way.4* I don't think I can find a yellow barrel though.
4*maybe this color thingy only applies to cans up to 5 gallons.

/ Diesel fuel in plastic "gas" cans #57  

Seems that off road diesel (red) should go into red jugs? :laughing::laughing::laughing:
1*Now I get my off road delivered into one of those white 220 gallon cubes. I just got it filled last week. Ouch! $458 for 180 gallons.Ken
100_2582.jpg

1*I get my off road delivered into one of these white drums.
The supplier never said a word about the color of the drums nor the set up.

LD1, Yea 6yrs old thread,
2* I thought that this was pretty hashed out before. I even replied to it the thread back then too.
2* May have been back then for the moment.
But this subject comes back to life from time to time.
Rumors and myths die hard so a permanent hash out isn't to likely.

3*Lot of new guys on here since 6 years ago:)
3*Yeah and I'd rather see them post to an old thread instead of creating a new thread.
Keeps all the info in one place rather than in thread after thread after thread all over the board.

/ Diesel fuel in plastic "gas" cans #58  

1*I get my off road delivered into one of these white drums.
The supplier never said a word about the color of the drums nor the set up.

Actually the driver here did comment that they are only supposed to put it into metal tanks but that mine looked pretty solid and besides it has a heavy metal wire frame around it.

Prior to setting that up last summer, I was using a 55 gallon blue plastic barrel but it was a hassle since I had to haul it myself to get it filled and it didn't last very long. They won't deliver less than 150 gallons here.

Ken

/ Diesel fuel in plastic "gas" cans #59  

There are certainly regulations that control how gas stations handle fuels. No one here has ever been able to point to regulations that control how consumers handle fuel. Until someone can post actual regulations - state or federal - that apply to consumers, feel free to use a Dixie cup or whatever else you like.

/ Diesel fuel in plastic "gas" cans #60  

There are certainly regulations that control how gas stations handle fuels. No one here has ever been able to point to regulations that control how consumers handle fuel. Until someone can post actual regulations - state or federal - that apply to consumers, feel free to use a Dixie cup or whatever else you like.

I always get a chuckle at the gas stations where a sign is posted that you may only use "approved containers" yet I've never seen a list of what is "approved", or who must do the approval. Nor to the containers sold in the stores generally say that they are approved. :confused:

Ken