Diesel fuel... Offroad or reg?

/ Diesel fuel... Offroad or reg? #21  
From my limited understanding. the dye makes the diesel more susceptible to algae (esp in heat) growth. I used to have two 55gal barrels which would take me over a year to go through. Now I just buy 20 gal of offroad at a time. All the algae did for me is require me to replace my fuel filters on a much more regular basis but once I looked at the fuel side by side I decided to change my methods before it clogged something else.

Negative there Cham, it's not the dye, it's just been improperly stored/prepped before you got it, or after you got it. I have a 300 gal tank and every time it gets filled in goes a gallon of Power Service and a dose of diesel biocide:
Racor Diesel Biocide Biocide 16Oz. - ADT2116 - BoatersWorld.com

These are good microbes to eat the bad ones that clog up filters. Bacteria and Fungi can thrive in diesel under certain conditions, so preventive maintenance is a good idea.

Dargo...wow y'all are getting the off road shaft!

Last edited:
   / Diesel fuel... Offroad or reg? #22  
Deere recommends a Cetane rating of 45. Most on road fuel has a cetane of only 40, I don't know what the off road stuff is. I have been using fuel I bought in bulk from my own tank for the past two years.

/ Diesel fuel... Offroad or reg? #23  
It's not just about saving on fuel cost, it is also hugely convenient to make a large fuel purchase and fill your tractor 5 gallons at a time without having to mess with jerry cans or going to the fuel station for that.
*Even if I had to buy road fuel, I would still use it to fill the barrel.
* Point on .

Deere recommends a Cetane rating of 45. Most on road fuel has a cetane of only 40,
2*I don't know what the off road stuff is.
I have been using fuel I bought in bulk from my own tank for the past two years.
2*Same as the on road since they are both the exact same thing.