Oil & Fuel Diesel fuel recommended for JD 3025E tractor

/ Diesel fuel recommended for JD 3025E tractor #1  

Busheadfox

Tractor
None
I'm completely new to any kind of diesel engine requirements. Never owned anything with a diesel engine in it. I was told by a friend that I shouldn't use diesel fuel that is sold in gas stations for cars and trucks. I should only use fuel that is sold for Farm use equipment because it has more lubricants in it design for farm equipment.
So what is everybody using for fuel on these new tractors and where can it usually be purchased from?

/ Diesel fuel recommended for JD 3025E tractor #2  
I get my tractor diesel ( yellow color ) at the local gas station. Its the same diesel i use in my motorhome. Also the school district gets it there for all there diesel buses. Now if you are a farmer or a business and your equipment is for 'off road' use only then they usually buy the Red diesel. You pay less tax on 'off road' diesel...but don't get caught using 'off road' diesel in your 'on road' equipment.

/ Diesel fuel recommended for JD 3025E tractor #3  
All diesel is the same nowadays, so it really doesn't matter what you use. If you can get offroad diesel (+ red dye) then it will save you about 25-30 cents per gallon in Virginia. I normally buy 55 gal at a time and it's worth my while to venture a little farther and get offroad diesel, but if I need some fuel in a hurry I'll just hit the pump at the local gas station and pay more for highway diesel.

No matter where/what you buy, be sure to add some treatment if you will be storing it long term or storing/using over winter. You'll want a biocide to prevent algae growth for long term storage, and you'll want an anti-gel treatment for winter storage or usage. It doesn't get that cold in my part of VA, but ocassionally dips low enough to cause diesel to gel up, so I treat all my fuel as soon as I buy it.

/ Diesel fuel recommended for JD 3025E tractor #4  
These two guys have got it right. The only thing I might add is that we have a "winters blend ". I have a 500 gallon fuel barrel so I order it straight from the oil company and they deliver it to my farm. I have had good luck with their "winter blend". No gelling or problems and I have had my tractor going when it has been 10 degrees below 0

/ Diesel fuel recommended for JD 3025E tractor #5  
I'm completely new to any kind of diesel engine requirements. Never owned anything with a diesel engine in it. I was told by a friend that I shouldn't use diesel fuel that is sold in gas stations for cars and trucks. I should only use fuel that is sold for Farm use equipment because it has more lubricants in it design for farm equipment.
So what is everybody using for fuel on these new tractors and where can it usually be purchased from?

Baloney. Only difference in farm and road is the red dye in farm that indicates it is for off road use only and doesn't contain the fed and state road tax.....in TX. that's 40 cents a gallon. I use "snake oils" in my diesel and have since I have been running them....at least 30 years, maybe more. I have never had to replace an injector or pump on any of my machines, nor have I ever had a fuel related problem that wasn't a problem in a newly purchased used diesel tractor. Power Services is one brand, Sea Foam, Some others in opaque bottles that seem to be popular, forget the name. Read the directions for use on the bottle. Additionally get your diesel at a reputable supplier and keep it in sealed containers, out of the sun if possible, when not in your tractor's tank.

/ Diesel fuel recommended for JD 3025E tractor #6  
I was told by a friend that I shouldn't use diesel fuel that is sold in gas stations for cars and trucks. I should only use fuel that is sold for Farm use equipment because it has more lubricants in it design for farm equipment.

Do not take any advice from this friend.

As has been said, it's all the same stuff. At some point in the distribution process one batch gets red dye added, and one batch gets road taxes added.

The road taxed stuff goes to the gas station, and the red stuff goes two places: Off-road diesel sellers and home heating oil sellers.

Yep, all the same stuff.

Use any one of the above, and add your own lubricant.

/ Diesel fuel recommended for JD 3025E tractor #7  
In some states, pump diesel, off road, and heating oil have a sulfur index of 15 parts per million. In other states, pump diesel and off road are 15ppm, while heating oil can be over 500ppm. The direct answer is any of these fuels are safe for older diesel engines, maybe up to early 2000's. Any fuel with a sulfur index of 500ppm should absolutely not be used in a new diesel. I do like using Power Service or Howes year round.

/ Diesel fuel recommended for JD 3025E tractor #8  
There is one other diesel,, and IMHO,, it should be avoided.

BIO-DIESEL!!

Fuel that is made from McDonalds grease or soybeans

I am convinced that one tractor I purchased had that in it when it was delivered.
The tractor was VERY hard to start.
I drained the fuel tank (I still have the fuel, about 7-8 gallons)

I flushed the tank, started the tractor with fresh fuel, then drained it again.
A new filter and strainer was installed.
The tractor is now noticeably easier to start!! I consider it now to be "normal",,

The service supervisor at the dealer asked if I resolved the starting issue with the tractor.
I told him that I had, but, I did not tell him what I had done.
He offered me a JOB!! SERIOUSLY!! :eek:
He said he needed three people like me, if I had the skill to solve that tractor's starting problem,,
I was surprised, as I never told him what I had done,,, I think he believed the tractor had injector pump problems.

That drained fuel was red dyed, and the viscosity seems to be thicker than what I purchase at the truck stop.

Just another point of view,,,

/ Diesel fuel recommended for JD 3025E tractor #9  
I use Howes year round. I put 1 oz in each 5 gallon can when i fill them up. Then when i fill the tractor tank i use a Mr. Funnel to filter the diesel. Kinda fussy with making sure i put clean fuel in the tank.

/ Diesel fuel recommended for JD 3025E tractor #10  
Purchase at a high volume (e.g. truck stop) and you should have no problems.

I've never used additives either.