Diesel Fuel Viscosity. How to test?

/ Diesel Fuel Viscosity. How to test? #11  
I havn't been adding anything to my bulk tanks at all. Just the Lucas Extreme Cold, to the individual equipment tanks to prevent Gelling and provide lubrication for the injector pumps year round. It's supposed to provide cetane boost as well.

The thing is, I don't know how much to use in the winter because I don't know at any given time, what the viscosity is as I get shipments at all times of the year. Hence my original question.

But I seem to experience that Gelling happens at very specific termperatures. Your good to go on one day, the temp drops ten degrees the next and your dead in the water!

I'm not even sure, what I would treat the bulk tanks for at this point.

Why would you treat the storage tank any different than your vehicle tanks?

Your fuel concerns are not related to changing or variable viscosity.
According to a brief search I did on the Lucas product you are now using, you are already paying more for fuel conditioner than anyone I sell to or know, that Lucas stuff is high priced!

/ Diesel Fuel Viscosity. How to test?
Thanks for the input. I got all excited thinking the viscosity meter was cheap little kit. Curious if viscosity is related to specific gravity? Possibly I can use a battery or antifreeze tester.

My fuel dealer can certainly tell me what he is delivering (to a point) but has no idea what mixture I have at any given time.

/ Diesel Fuel Viscosity. How to test? #13  
I havn't been adding anything to my bulk tanks at all. Just the Lucas Extreme Cold, to the individual equipment tanks to prevent Gelling and provide lubrication for the injector pumps year round. It's supposed to provide cetane boost as well.

The thing is, I don't know how much to use in the winter because I don't know at any given time, what the viscosity is as I get shipments at all times of the year. Hence my original question.

But I seem to experience that Gelling happens at very specific termperatures. Your good to go on one day, the temp drops ten degrees the next and your dead in the water!

I'm not even sure, what I would treat the bulk tanks for at this point.

You treat the bulk tanks after you get a delivery, then you don't have to treat the tanks on the individual pieces of equipment.

To repeat - What do you pay for Power Service that makes it VERY expensive?

EDIT
: As RickB said, Lucas Diesel Treatment is VERY expensive. The prices on Amazon show it is almost 60% more expensive than Power Service.

I get it withoug having to pay quite retail prices. I got onto this stuff because a friend that works with Electrical Utilities and they swear by it. Of course, I am paying for theirs too!

Wasn't sure what you meant by power service. Thought you were inferring that equipment repairs are even more costly. I will look into it.

I did a search. Seems that Walmart is the ONLY source listed in Canada. Could that be? I mean that would be great, but I'm not holding my breath. They probably would not carry the larger formats.

/ Diesel Fuel Viscosity. How to test? #15  
Wasn't sure what you meant by power service. Thought you were inferring that equipment repairs are even more costly. I will look into it.
That's why I was careful to capitalize it. :) I wasn't aware it was not as available in Canada. I noticed it's not available at amazon.ca either, while it is available at amazon.com.

I did a search. Seems that Walmart is the ONLY source listed in Canada. Could that be? I mean that would be great, but I'm not holding my breath. They probably would not carry the larger formats.
That's what I found, too, at the PS web site. Keep us posted if WalMart in Canada really carries it.

I did a search for the 911 stuff and was surprised to see it is the same manufacturer. I hadn't made the connection. Under the 911, there are a host of retailers, including Canadian Tire. It seems well represented up here albeit it seems in the Retail sector. Will check into it further. Too bad I ordered a few jugs of the Lucas!

/ Diesel Fuel Viscosity. How to test? #17  
I did a search for the 911 stuff and was surprised to see it is the same manufacturer. I hadn't made the connection. Under the 911, there are a host of retailers, including Canadian Tire. It seems well represented up here albeit it seems in the Retail sector. Will check into it further. Too bad I ordered a few jugs of the Lucas!

Just remember 911 is a rescue treatment, not a preventative/conditioner.

/ Diesel Fuel Viscosity. How to test? #18  

Click Here for the right Power Service Product at Canadian Tire. I also notice they sell similar products from Gunk and MotoMaster.

/ Diesel Fuel Viscosity. How to test? #19  
Viscosity is a slight indicator of whether the fuel will gel or not, not entirely. You can get kerosene with a waxing tendency. Just depends on the parafinicity.

Don't know of a simple viscosity test. In the lab, it's measured by the amount of fluid that goes through a certain length of capillary tube in a certain time.

Why not put a small sample in your freezer and see whether it gels or doesn't pour very well after being in there for a day? It may pour fine but have globs of wax in it. This can form in ULSD in 10 degree or colder nights. Happened to me 2 or 3 winters ago. Try the same thing with 0.15% additive of some sort in it (maybe the white bottle stuff others talk about) and see if it works.

Ralph

/ Diesel Fuel Viscosity. How to test? #20  
I hauled trailer after trailer of Diesel, heating oil for years in a different life, 85-93. Most of the product was Mobil oil and during the Winter months they tested it daily with a machine so they knew how to cut it at the rack. They made mistakes occasionally and to this day I see major fuel suppliers that have blending issues at their pumps. In the last couple of weeks I have seen many Diesel freeze ups from the big names in fuel supply in my area.

Daily the product was tested with one of these:
Mini Cloud and Pour Point - AUTOMATIC NO-FLOW POINT ANALYZER | PAC

More good info:
https://www.promiles.com/PhaseTech/

Good luck, Fred