Diesel Fuel vs Fuel Oil

/ Diesel Fuel vs Fuel Oil #2  
Thanks ramtruckman for the article. Seems I can never read enough stuff about the fuel going into my prized poccession. John

/ Diesel Fuel vs Fuel Oil #3  
I hate to say this, but this is just another person putting his opinion onto the web. I find some of his "comments" inconsistent with that which has been recommended in the past by a major automobile manufacturer for their diesel engine cars. True that information was applicable to only certain year vehicles, but if you still owned on of those year of manufacturer vehicles, then the information that they gave out then, would still hold true today, even though this person in his humble opinion says that it has no validity. Personally, I would tend to believe information from the R & D of Daimler Benz over a individual. Draw whatever conclusion from the article that you wish, however I am just stating my own personal observations. Everyone is free to disagree and I am certain that many will. I am not trying to start a war. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

/ Diesel Fuel vs Fuel Oil #4  
I agree with Junkman. This isn't research-based information. I do agree with his saying not to put ATF in your diesel fuel. ATF is light (basically very high VI virgin, about SAE 10) lube oil. It would be like putting kerosene in your gasoline engined car.

Pretty soon, by 2006, diesel and fuel oil could be quite different in that diesel will have to be virtually sulfur free, like much of the very high quality "dino" oil now is (as made by some of Chevron and some of Pennzoil and some of Exxon lube oil refineries).

Ralph

/ Diesel Fuel vs Fuel Oil #5  
Ralph,

You've mentioned premium lube oils a couple of times, and I think with your experience you know what you are talking about. How can we distinguish premium quality oil from overpriced overhyped mediocre stuff?

Can you name some brands or lines that really are better than most?

/ Diesel Fuel vs Fuel Oil #6  
Is the DB info researched on the present day fuels for presently constucted models?

Egon

/ Diesel Fuel vs Fuel Oil #7  
I don't buy the straight kero or kero mix argument for fuel oil. I can order it that way, but if I order #2 they better be delivering #2, not #1, not kero, not kero mix. Also while the burner doesn't care if its kero or #2 I imagine the fuel pump might.

Delivering the wrong product is as bad as delivering 75 gallons and claiming they delivered 100. There might be some places that do that but a reputable place shouldn't be that dishonest.