diesel fuel

/ diesel fuel #1  

wrn9510

Being a soon to own BX2200 owner I was wondering which would be recommended........diesel fuel from the local gas station or #2 fuel oil right out of my oil storage tank for my heating system. Would additional filtering be required for the #2 heating fuel oil? Thanks in advance for any advice from the board.....

Bob D

/ diesel fuel #2  
I can't even imagine living in a place that is so cold they give numbers to the heating petrol! /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

I would buy it at the station. You know it is diesel fuel. A guy was selling off road diesel cheaper than anyone else in the area. It ran ok, but stunk when burning. It was later determined that he was mixing it with used oil and selling it at diesel prices. /w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif

/ diesel fuel #3  
At my last house I had an oil burner and the fuel oil was guess what color-----red---guess what I ran in my tractor.
I purchased the oil from a farm supply ran this in winter with no problems.
When I worked at a marina the same truck dumped fuel into the diesel tank and we also had a 1000 gallon fuel oil tank same product went into both.
With a brand new tractor I would buy fuel from the pump for at least 200 hrs just to be on the safe side. Then you could decide from there.
Gordon

/ diesel fuel #4  
I'd stick with the station fuel. I'd also try to buy it from a station that turns a lot of fuel over, like a truck stop. The reason for both of these practices is that diesel is prone to holding water and developing fungus that can cause it to clog up filters and injection systems. Your home heating system isn't nearly as particular about what you feed it as your tractor is. It's not going to make $20 a year difference to most owners, so you might as well treat your tractor right, for that kind of money.

Mark

/ diesel fuel #5  
Compacts don't burn much diesel, so fooling around with a cheaper alternative isn't going to save much. Besides, most cheaper alternatives would need a celtane booster to get the same power as #2 diesel. I'd use a diesel conditioner in truck stop #2 to help with injector pump lubrication.

However, there's probably a source of red #2 nearby in most farming areas. My local supplier of red fuel only carries #1. He supplies fuel to organizations with diesel backup generators. All specs require use of #1 diesel year-round. Specs have to do with fuel gelling during the winter. I wouldn't save enough using red #1 to bother with it.

/ diesel fuel
Thanks for all your comments. The reason I asked the question in the first place is that the fuel suppliers (heating oil) said their product was better than at the pump especially for the generator I own. I respect your recommendations and will abide by them.......

Bob D