Oil & Fuel Diesel Fuels

/ Diesel Fuels #11  
I picked up a 30 gallon 'natural' colored poly barrel to store diesel fuel for use in my tractor. The 'natural' color is white, not quite clear, and I used it so I could see the level in the barrel. Stored outside, used very little fuel due to the efficient little tractor, and six months later I had floaties in my fuel. Since I wanted a filter in the dispenser line, this was a great time to make it happen. Administered biocide and installed filter, pumped fuel through the filter and back into the barrel for a while, and haven't had any trouble since. I don't think I had a water problem, no water is evident in the barrel. It did have plenty of exposure to sunshine. Keep your fuel dark and dry for best results. I dose with PS biocide and PS white bottle when filling the barrel. Stored fuel 12 months later still looks and works great.

/ Diesel Fuels #12  
I picked up a 30 gallon 'natural' colored poly barrel to store diesel fuel for use in my tractor. The 'natural' color is white, not quite clear, and I used it so I could see the level in the barrel. Stored outside, used very little fuel due to the efficient little tractor, and six months later I had floaties in my fuel. Since I wanted a filter in the dispenser line, this was a great time to make it happen. Administered biocide and installed filter, pumped fuel through the filter and back into the barrel for a while, and haven't had any trouble since. I don't think I had a water problem, no water is evident in the barrel. It did have plenty of exposure to sunshine. Keep your fuel dark and dry for best results. I dose with PS biocide and PS white bottle when filling the barrel. Stored fuel 12 months later still looks and works great.

Well that would have been my next question, thanks JMynes. I wonder if the problem(s) exist or occur just as quickly with different types of diesel, let's say gas station diesel vs ag diesel vs bio, etc.

/ Diesel Fuels #13  
Well that would have been my next question, thanks JMynes. I wonder if the problem(s) exist or occur just as quickly with different types of diesel, let's say gas station diesel vs ag diesel vs bio, etc.

No expert here, but from all I have read/heard/observed, over-the-road diesel and off-road diesel differ mainly by the dye added to the off-road. However, there may be differences in sulfur content. I defer to the experts.

I have no experience with bio, but according to the link below, it has a shorter shelf life.

"Bio blends also have a shorter shelf-life than conventional diesel with the lower BX/BXX level having the longer shelf-life."

Wisconsin Department of Commerce: Storage Tank Program - Converting to biofuel storage -

Steve

/ Diesel Fuels #14  

My experience was with gas-station diesel. I try to fill the barrel in November-December for snowblower season, and top it off before the Summer blend hits the street. I don't fill the barrel in the summer time, I don't want to get caught in December with a full barrel of Summer blend.

/ Diesel Fuels #15  
I found on here years ago a page about all of the weights of oils and what they mean and I didn't save it and now I cannot find anything like it.......For instance 10w30 VS 5W040