Oil & Fuel Diesel jelling?

/ Diesel jelling? #11  
I use the additive all year around as it is also an injector cleaner so I figured it couldn't hurt. I haven't seen any problems in the year I've had mine.

/ Diesel jelling? #12  
#2 diesel fuel (summer) kind of starts to gel at 28 degrees, but is not a noticable issue until around 10 degrees F.

Straight #1 diesel (winter) will go to well below zero F before causing problems - depends on the additive package exactly how low it will go. Many 'winter blends' are a combo of #1 & #2 & an additive.....

If you get to regular temps of 10 below for a high, you will be many dollars & time ahead getting a block heater & plugging your tractor in for an hour or 2 before starting it. This is good advise if the temp gets much below 20F really - just easier on the engine.

You will need a good strong battery. You will need a new fuel filter in fall. You will need to use an additive like Power Service. You will need a good winter oil, at much below zero you will be thinking a good synthetic. You might want synthetic in the tranny/hydro system as well. Thick oils are a real issue at 20 below F.

Oh, the important part: Use the additive before you need it! Start using it when it's 35 outside, so it gets mixed into your fuel. Once the temp is -15, it's too late to pour it in the tank - you needed it mixed in ahead of the zero temps.

Ether can help in starting an engine, but it is very hard on diesels - it does not create a burn like diesel, but a shocking explosion on the piston. It also can create problems with some preheaters.....

During hot weather, #1 diesel fuel is not so good. It is lower in power per gallon, and it does not lubricate the engine & pump as well. Anti-gel additives are probably ok in lesser amounts over the summer.

I farm with 3 diesel tractors in Minnesota. This is based on my learning curve, and the bulk fuels I get. We got to -28F this winter a few mornings. Typically it got up to -10 during the day, and this was only a couple of times. Usually weather of 0 - 25 F is not too big of an issue for your tractor, and I bet that is a more typical winter day for you. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

--->Paul