Diesel Oil use in a Cub Cadet Kohler 25 HP engine . . . good, bad, or not the best ?

/ Diesel Oil use in a Cub Cadet Kohler 25 HP engine . . . good, bad, or not the best ? #11  
Diesel engine rated oil has a higher zinc content, important for flat tappet (non roller rocker/lifter) engines. Just got back from Kawasaki schooling, and they recommend a "diesel engine" rated oil for all thier engines now.

I've been advising my customers exactly that for a few years.

/ Diesel Oil use in a Cub Cadet Kohler 25 HP engine . . . good, bad, or not the best ? #12  
I'm putting Rotella T6 Diesel in all my engines now, including my Cub/Kohler 1046

/ Diesel Oil use in a Cub Cadet Kohler 25 HP engine . . . good, bad, or not the best ? #13  
I've been advising my customers exactly that for a few years.

It started out as a time saver and cost saver for me.

Not having to keep 4 or 5 different oils on the shelves. then you start looking at the oils and 15w40 starts standing out quite a bit!

/ Diesel Oil use in a Cub Cadet Kohler 25 HP engine . . . good, bad, or not the best ?
So far I haven't seen any opinions that would indicate a diesel engine oil would be harmful in a gas engine. So to cycle back to one of the others points I originally started with:

a cub cadet gas engine 25 hp kohler command on an I 1050 unit. Normal temps I put in 10w-30 dino oil and cold wisconsin winter temp I put in 5w-30 dino oil. (Unit has about 105 total hours on it.

But if I go to a synthetic diesel oil in a 5w-40 .all year long . . How will the 5w-40 viscosity impact the mower with any negatives comoared to 10w-30 or 5w-30?

Any changes to wear or oil consumption or engine surface protection or tempersrures etc.. ?

/ Diesel Oil use in a Cub Cadet Kohler 25 HP engine . . . good, bad, or not the best ? #15  
So far I haven't seen any opinions that would indicate a diesel engine oil would be harmful in a gas engine. So to cycle back to one of the others points I originally started with:

a cub cadet gas engine 25 hp kohler command on an I 1050 unit. Normal temps I put in 10w-30 dino oil and cold wisconsin winter temp I put in 5w-30 dino oil. (Unit has about 105 total hours on it.

But if I go to a synthetic diesel oil in a 5w-40 .all year long . . How will the 5w-40 viscosity impact the mower with any negatives comoared to 10w-30 or 5w-30?

Any changes to wear or oil consumption or engine surface protection or tempersrures etc.. ?

The 5w40 syn oil should be fine for the cold temps AND the warm temps.

remember.. turbo diesels are loving them 15 and 5w 40 oils.

5w40 syn oil Negatives? lets see... increased pour point during the cold, meaning less drag at startup.. less wear at startup, better film strength, meaning mor elube on the metal after setting. um.... better formulated base oil hydrocracked or not, since it is C rated, ZDDP will be higher than most S rated oils... um.. price. there. price may be the only negative... The only thing I caution people on with C ratede oils in an S rated engine, is to tell people to make sure their C rated oil ALSO caries an S rating. It's RARE, but some oils ( I have seen a couple manufacturer specific oils ) are ONLY carrying a C rating.. probably to save money on testing, and since they are application specific oils and not meant for a gas engine.. no need to carry a 'S'ervice rating.

/ Diesel Oil use in a Cub Cadet Kohler 25 HP engine . . . good, bad, or not the best ? #16  
As far as the synthetic price is concerned......you can save a few bucks by checking out this link....Offer is good for their full synthetic and their synthetic blend varities.

Save $5 Per Gallon - Shell Rotella

/ Diesel Oil use in a Cub Cadet Kohler 25 HP engine . . . good, bad, or not the best ?
On the idea of oil pricing etc. Mobil 1 is offering some pleasant options currently. As an example the full synthetic 5w-40 diesel oil I've described on this thread that I used in my Massey GC1715 subcompact (and considering for the cub cadet gas engined mower) has a $12.00 rebate on each gallon or $60 rebate on 5 gallon pails. At our Farm and Fleet store (chain in WI and MN) its normally 23.99 on sale for 21.99. With the mobil rebate that makes it 9.99 per gallon for full synthetic non-store brand product.

/ Diesel Oil use in a Cub Cadet Kohler 25 HP engine . . . good, bad, or not the best ? #19  
   / Diesel Oil use in a Cub Cadet Kohler 25 HP engine . . . good, bad, or not the best ? #20  
$11.99/qt is an awful high price for a non-synthetic oil. I realize you don't use much but just the same.......
I pay $26 at Walmart for 5 qts of Mobil 1 full synthetic oil. I use it in our cars but use regular 5W20 or 10W30 in the tractor. Just my 2 cents.

Bob B.

Oil is $4.75/qt at my local cub cadet dealer