Diesel opinions: '93 Ford F250, '87 Ford F350

/ Diesel opinions: '93 Ford F250, '87 Ford F350 #1  

3930dave

Tractor
Ford 3930
I might take a look at a '93 Ford F250, '87 Ford F350, both diesels.

From what I know, the '87 will be a 6.9, and the '93 a 7.3. Don't know yet if the '93 is a turbo.

International Harvester IDI - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I don't need/want 800 ft/lbs; I get how much less power these make than today's trucks.

Aside from that issue, I'm looking for any specific likes/dislikes people have for this era of International motor.

Other than normal age related wear, any specific weak spots ?

Rgds, D.

/ Diesel opinions: '93 Ford F250, '87 Ford F350 #2  
I had an '88 & a '94 both diesels. The 94 was factory turbo (non power stroke). If I remember right, there was not much difference between the 2 and I was not impressed with the factory trubo for any great power advancements. Go with the 87, that is unless either is a stick shift, that would be the one I'd choose. I think the 87 has an old (it it's an auto) C-6, a good tranny, but the torque converter was not designed for the diesels rpm range. My 94 was a stick but my 97 and 2001 have an automatic that is not fit for much towing. As strictly for the 7.3, I'd go with the non turbo, just for the maint. cost. Not that I had any trouble with mine, but with a truck with that age, or eventually it will need service. Parts that you don't have can't break and don't need replacing.

/ Diesel opinions: '93 Ford F250, '87 Ford F350 #3  
Oops! To better answer you, the 7.3 is a he!! of a good motor with lots of miles in'em. The early ones just not so fast!

/ Diesel opinions: '93 Ford F250, '87 Ford F350 #4  
The 7.3 is a good motor. I would have to get a steal either way due to the age of the truck. Truth is for about the same money you should be able to get a much newer gasser that will be just as capable as the old non turbo trucks.

Chris

/ Diesel opinions: '93 Ford F250, '87 Ford F350 #5  
I had an '86 6.9 auto. Got it with a little over 200K on it. It died at just over 300K. It burned some oil from the time I got it, but was a reliable engine. The only thing I ever had to do to the engine was replace the injector pump at around 275K.
When I got it, it would get 18 MPG on the highway. That dropped significantly the last few years I had it, but it was flat wore out. Can't really say anything bad about it.

/ Diesel opinions: '93 Ford F250, '87 Ford F350 #6  
The 7.3 is a good motor. I would have to get a steal either way due to the age of the truck. Truth is for about the same money you should be able to get a much newer gasser that will be just as capable as the old non turbo trucks.

Chris

I like your different avatars:thumbsup:

/ Diesel opinions: '93 Ford F250, '87 Ford F350
Thanks for the comments guys, points are well taken.

Emission testing is about to get much more complex and expensive here come Jan 01/13, one of the reasons I'm looking at old iron. I don't need to tow 25k#, and I don't want fast - that would just give the province another reason to tax, er, I mean give me a speeding ticket.

The ever increasing alcohol content in gas is irritating the heck out of me. Not arguing Chris, but I'm beginning to think I should plot a graph of Exy content vs. gas motor power output dropping..... it might put a modern gas motor back close to these old diesels, at E15+.

(Joking, but not totally).

Rgds, D.

/ Diesel opinions: '93 Ford F250, '87 Ford F350 #9  
hard to argue with my 2001 ford E350 with the big V8 for $4000. They also make a diesel version and a V10 version although the diesel version is much more pricey

/ Diesel opinions: '93 Ford F250, '87 Ford F350 #10  
I have a 93 F250 with the 7.3 non turbo diesel. It has 240,000 miles and the motor still runs strong, has the 5 speed standard trans, 4.11 gears. This truck is not loaded with power but has good torque and is reliable. It appears the Ford will rust away before the IH engine wears out.