Diesel Pickups in the snow and those front hooks

/ Diesel Pickups in the snow and those front hooks #91  
Since we are all just putting out our opinions. Then here is mine..

Add 500 to 600 lbs at the tailgate of the truck. Use a 2x10 in the slots at the back, and get some of the sand tubes. This will put the weight behind the rear axle, and will un-weight the front axle a little bit.
and get some Blizzak tires, or another brand of true winter tire with the mountain/snowflake symbol on the tire. and you will have a BRAND NEW TRUCK!

http://www.tirerack.com/winter/index.jsp

/ Diesel Pickups in the snow and those front hooks
Too many vehicles, when the ABS quits,the 4x4 no longer works (Quote)

That would not surprise me in the least on this miserible computerized PO junk!

I need a new master cylinder sensor (again) for the OEM trailer brake system but the truck won't let me put the tranny into trailer towing mode with this fault! Who says, I am using a trailer with brakes? And would they rather I pull a trailer in regular mode? TOTAL STUPIDITY!

A kind person sent me the front to back weights on my truck. Seems it is about six hundred pounds heavy in the front!

And as I mentioned before. I found out tht a good size shackle CAN be looped through the hooks past the junky rubber. You wouldn't think it possible by looking at it.

I am totally serious when I say I don't have any brakes at all on a slippery road as far as an emergency or unplanned stop goes.

I really wonder where they get these Engineers. I had a Dakota, don't remember if it was the 94 or 2K, but it only had ABS in the back. What good is that as you have locked up your steering wheels?

/ Diesel Pickups in the snow and those front hooks #93  
Alright alright, I'm a little reluctant, but since you're really unhappy with your truck, I'll trade you. My 1990 f250 2wd is great in the snow. 300 six pulls like a mule and it's got new bf Goodrich at tires. And it gets good mileage, too. I sure like my truck, but I'm happy to do you a favor and swap with you.;)

/ Diesel Pickups in the snow and those front hooks #94  
Too many vehicles, when the ABS quits,the 4x4 no longer works (Quote)

That would not surprise me in the least on this miserible computerized PO junk!

I need a new master cylinder sensor (again) for the OEM trailer brake system but the truck won't let me put the tranny into trailer towing mode with this fault! Who says, I am using a trailer with brakes? And would they rather I pull a trailer in regular mode? TOTAL STUPIDITY!

A kind person sent me the front to back weights on my truck. Seems it is about six hundred pounds heavy in the front!

And as I mentioned before. I found out tht a good size shackle CAN be looped through the hooks past the junky rubber. You wouldn't think it possible by looking at it.

I am totally serious when I say I don't have any brakes at all on a slippery road as far as an emergency or unplanned stop goes.

I really wonder where they get these Engineers. I had a Dakota, don't remember if it was the 94 or 2K, but it only had ABS in the back. What good is that as you have locked up your steering wheels?

It sounds like you are fed up with your truck. Little things breaking, poor tires, poor brakes, ect. Maybe it's time to part ways with it and try a different brand? I have done this in the past and even though it was a financial hit it was the only way to get the bad taste out of my mouth.

Chris

I got a very good deal on the truck, when GM went broke! It is a good highway driving machine. Quiet, steers well and if the pavement is dry, safe.

I have had it since 08 and have towed something maybe five times! I just always wanted a Diesel! It is so expensive to keep a trailer licensed to pull any kind of weight for ocassional use.

I have owned a couple of GMs and had good experience. They were 70s and 80s sedans. They were much simpler vehicles. I guess, I expected more common sense in the design of this truck. One of the first thing I noticed, is despite being a SLT trim level, they didn't even give me a place to put my sunglasses! The glovebox doesn't even have a light, nor is there one under the hood! I always thought, it was these little things, this attention to detail that personified GM.

Better the Devil you know they say, so for the time being, it's my Ride!

/ Diesel Pickups in the snow and those front hooks #96  
If you have crappy brakes when its slick out, I'd say something is wrong. When its really slick out, any vehicle will struggle but my truck, also a 4x4 diesel, seems to do fine when braking on the slick roads and the ABS works very well. It almost sounds like you have a brake or two that is sticking or hanging up.

I spend $1600.00 on brakes a couple of months ago at just over 100KMS. I opted not to change the front rotors which were badly corroded and getting crunchy in favour of waiting til spring.

The brake job didn't make a difference in stopping. I actually went in JUST to get them serviced! Well, SURPRISE!

Next time the roads are slick, I should try and take out the ABS fuse, just to play with it.

/ Diesel Pickups in the snow and those front hooks #98  
Lets face it pickups are not real good on snow and slippery conditions until you put some weight in the bed. I have ran pickups, blazers, cj jeeps and jeep cherokees. The pickup is not the best choice for winter weather. It is a necessary evil for me right now so I put a little weight over the axle

In the winter drive a 1970s Jeep wagoner and a J-10 Jeep pickup - both Q TRACs (old school -but great on mixed snow, ice)and the truck is every bit the equal of the Wagoneer in the snow or mud. I still think my Cummins powered SWR is fine in the snow or on ice. The only problem is on tight corners - it tends to (push) do to no differential action in the transfer case On all three - excellent studded snow tires make the biggest difference and carrying some weight... my :2cents:

/ Diesel Pickups in the snow and those front hooks #99  
Not sure how you were able to spend $1600 on brakes and not even replace the front rotors???

If I wanted, I can do all 4 rotors, all 4 calipers, and all pads on 1 ton and still come in about a grand less than you.

I didn't do it. I had a trusted shop and customer of mine do it. Then there is our wonderfull 13% tax! They also broke one caliper in the back trying to get out some weird bolt. I watched them. It wasn't for lack of trying!

They said that some of these brake components are the highest price out there, only to be outdone by the Yukon, I think they said. I seem to recall I also chose the top end OEM style ceramic pads.