diesel pickups

/ diesel pickups #11  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I have a 2003 F-250, CC, 4X4, 6.0 diesel w/the 5 sp auto trans. Prior to that, I had the same thing in an 02 and a 2000 truck, except that they had the 7.3 liter diesel and 4 sp auto in them. All had the towing pkg on them too. I average 15.5 mpg in the city and 17.5 on the highway empty. It doesn't change much until I add a stock trailer and start hauling calves or something else. Mpgs go down then.

If I were you and I didn't need the power for hauling something, I'd really have to think twice about diesel. They do not get better fuel mileage than gas!! They are more expensive to buy initially and to operate generally. Oil chgs are 30.00 more, at least, and initial cost is $5000.00 more when new.

Diesel used to be 20 cents a gallon cheaper to buy, but now, it's more expensive than gasoline, which is pathetic because it's cheaper to make.

Just some thoughts for you. )</font>

I'd second this. I get slightly (1 mpg) better mileage from my 99 F250 7.3 liter Diesel but that may just be from my driving style.

My other diesel observations:

The one unexpected benefit of diesel for me was that I slowed down. I just don't feel like driving as fast in my diesel. The engine noise just makes me feel like it is working too hard (yes - I'm strange) - it isn't working to hard it just feels that way to me. However, it can go fast when needed.

Oil changes are way more costly (14.7 quarts of oil and a big filter) more frequent (5K).

Diesel is no longer cheaper than gas and I'm not sure it ever will be.

Re-sale value and lifespan is longer so if you are the type of person to hold onto a truck for a long time then it might be something to consider.

Can't beat the towing capability of a diesel.

Nothing worse then being dressed up and having to fill up the truck and then getting some diesel on your hands/clothes. The stuff stinks (it stinks good for some people).

My tractor runs on diesel so I get good turn over on my stored diesel.

Drive through window staff like it when you shut off your engine and scowl when you don't.

Border agents at the US/Canada border won't talk to you unless you turn your engine off.

Tell the granola heads you burn bio-diesel and suddenly your big stinky example capitalist excess is now an acceptable example of alternative energy sources.

Diesel gets you more respect from other truck guys. V10 gas engines and the such are all a bunch of pretenders. (is this what they call flame bait?) /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ diesel pickups #12  
Okay Jagman, if you're behind me, just flash your lights and I'll either move over to let you by or skat on ahead. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif I've been running biodiesel lately. Maybe you'll think I'm burning french fries now. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Alright GSXR, you're just jealous because I don't use Rotella and I screwed up and didn't get a PowerStroke. Not on your bike, (but, let's see your bike haul my 14k trailer! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif) but in your cars, I'll be happy to show you how slow my diesel is. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif After my wife saw a few of my nice spills way back when I raced motocross every Sunday, she won't allow me to have a bike anymore. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif I do still have a car that has over 600 hp, does that count? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ diesel pickups #13  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Drive through window staff like it when you shut off your engine and scowl when you don't. )</font>

If I don't shut mine off, I can't even possibly hear them yelling at me, telling me they can't hear me. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif Standard protocol is to shut it off when coasting up to the window. If I have a kid in front of me with his stereo thumping, I'll creep up close behind him and they can't get his order, even when he turns his rap down /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif He then has to go up to the window to order. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif Also, driving a dually also creates certain situations at a bank drive thru. Uh, at some banks, I literally have both rear tires climb up on the curb on each side. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

/ diesel pickups #15  
Why not just buy a F250/350 with the 6.8L V10 and a 4.30 rear? That's what I'm going to get next time.

/ diesel pickups #16  
In the auto business, those (V10 gas units) are referred to as Pink Elephants. They have no power, drink loads of gas, terrible resale value, and nobody will bid on one at the auction. Most dealers require a huge, non-refundable, deposit to order you one or dealer trade for one. At the Manheim Auto Auction in Nashville, TN last week, the exact same F350's with a diesel going across the blocks were bringing right at $10k more than the V10 gas powered units. Most of the V10's didn't sell and simply went back home with the dealers who brought them. Make sure that is exactly what you want if you buy one.

/ diesel pickups #17  
<font color="blue">of course i just started my job and my car died. i need a new (to me) truck. </font>
Do you need a truck as part of your job or will you just be commuting?

<font color="blue"> is it worth the extra cost. </font>
'Worth' is not an objective word. It depends on how you will use the truck. If the truck will spend lots of time towing, then a diesel is great. If it will spend 90% of it's time commuting, I don't see the value in a diesel.

I used to use my Chevy K1500 for commuting a 30 mile round trip. I got about 15 mpg. The best thing I ever did was get a car that got good gas mileage (over 30 mpg) and relegated the truck to strictly hauling supplies and the occasional towing duty. While a diesel would be neat to own (as well as hop up with performance mods), I simply do not tow/haul enough to justify the premium price for a diesel.

/ diesel pickups #18  
Wife cannot stand diesel trucks, this is my back off position. Won't do a lot of towing. Mainly to take the tractor in for service work to dealer 40 miles away. Thought I would chip it, put in a cat-back system and a K&N.

/ diesel pickups #19  
I get only 1MPG gallon less with my 1997 Powerstroke Diesel than I did with my 2002 6 cylinder Toyota Tacoma (21 MPG w/ my PSD, 22 MPG w/ my Tacoma, both were 4wd). My Tacoma was useless for hauling anything much larger than a box of nails (exaggerating of course.. but not too far off base). I had a 1990 Chevy Z-Z1 4wd with the 350. GREAT engine, but with it I only got 17-18MPG at its best. I can haul more with the diesel than I could even with the gasser full size. All gasoline trucks seem to be being built with soccer moms in mind now anyway. Even the big 3 full size half tons that used to be useful for something 15-20 years ago are so plush and dainty on the inside and squishy feeling on the ride that you'd hate using it for real work even if it could actually do so. When 1/2 ton pickups started going with independent front suspension, their usefulness for work and their durability has been on a MAJOR downslide. 3/4 ton trucks still use straight front axles and are beefy and ride like it (rough).

I'll NEVER go back to gas again. As for the smell, I don't much care for raw diesel fumes, say straight from the pump or the can, but I love the smell of a running diesel engine and always have.

As for other vehicles... I may at some point in my life have a second vehicle, but my main one will always be a truck that I can use for many things. Cars are too limited in their usefulness.

***Edit: Oh.. forgot to mention. Given the fact that I will always have a truck, there isn't a car out there that I could use as a second vehicle that gets good enough gas mileage to pay for itself for extra taxes and insurance.

In other words, I will always have a truck. The savings of driving a car instead of my truck would have to eat up the EXTRA cost of the insurance and taxes. I would need a vehicle in the 60-70MPG range to start getting close based on the miles that I would put on the car (maximum of 150 miles per week).

/ diesel pickups #20  
Mike.. you are in the same boat I am in when I edited the post above.

You evidently have a truck. I don't see how the savings of 30mpg over the 15mpg pays for the cost of having the second vehicle. It seems like you are still coming out worse paying for two vehicles, than just driving the truck. I know I did.. and my calculation was even based on a Honda Civic hatchback that I paid $3000 for, basically no tax value, and got over 45mpg. I still lost, and was paying more TOTAL than just driving my truck, so I got rid of the Honda. The losses would've been even worse if the car would have been halfway decent and carried a tax value, and/or got worse gas mileage.