Diesel starting trouble -- compression?

/ Diesel starting trouble -- compression? #11  
Chip is correct, having said that I have seen diesel engines that were new that wanted ether.
I have a old Cat dozer, been shooting ether to it for 25 years, so I figured I better do a major rebuild,so I did, still won't start without ether, some mechanical(non computer)diesels just want ether. In the case of my Cat, it is converted from pony motor to a 12 volt starter, if the pony still ran it would start without ether the starter is short on guts for that engine cold, but fires fine hot.
If the compression is good, fuel system could be the cold start problem, worn injectors and pump or it could be a build up of carbon on the pistons and valves, that will soak up the fuel like a wick and make it d*mn hard to start,hence the need for ether.
If you get it and think its carbon, run 1 quart of Marvel Mystery oil in 5 gallons of fuel, might have to do it 2 or 3 times, it will clean out the carbon.

/ Diesel starting trouble -- compression? #12  
Chip is correct, having said that I have seen diesel engines that were new that wanted ether.
I have a old Cat dozer, been shooting ether to it for 25 years, so I figured I better do a major rebuild,so I did, still won't start without ether, some mechanical(non computer)diesels just want ether. In the case of my Cat, it is converted from pony motor to a 12 volt starter, if the pony still ran it would start without ether the starter is short on guts for that engine cold, but fires fine hot.
If the compression is good, fuel system could be the cold start problem, worn injectors and pump or it could be a build up of carbon on the pistons and valves, that will soak up the fuel like a wick and make it d*mn hard to start,hence the need for ether.
If you get it and think its carbon, run 1 quart of Marvel Mystery oil in 5 gallons of fuel, might have to do it 2 or 3 times, it will clean out the carbon.