Diesel Storage Tank

/ Diesel Storage Tank #21  
I have a 500 gallon in ground wrapped against moisture and under a covered shed. I use a hand pump through a Goldenrod filter.

By having the tank in the ground and under cover I avoid temperature swings causing the tank to breathe. I have a check valve in the vent line allowing air to only enter the tank while pumping out and not exit the tank (no free flow of air). I have a free flow bypass valve for filling the tank.

I have never in 10 years had a contaminate to remove from the filter but regardless the filter gets change regularly.

The best thing I started doing years ago is keeping my fuel tanks on the tractors full especially in the winter to avoid condensation.

You are fortunate. Non commercial underground tanks are not allowed in my municipality. We pulled ours out almost 30 years ago.

/ Diesel Storage Tank #22  
You are fortunate. Non commercial underground tanks are not allowed in my municipality. We pulled ours out almost 30 years ago.

I do not think you necessarily have to have it in the ground. Just do something to protect it from temp swings and keep it as dry as possible.

/ Diesel Storage Tank #23  
How big are the typical saddle tanks on most trucks? I've got a couple of wrecking yards not too far away and got to thinking about one of those. They're more rectangular and stable than the round plastic 55 gallon barrel I have now and would be pretty easy to mount on a pallet.

/ Diesel Storage Tank #24  
Vehicle fuel tanks are real thin, and amazingly flimsy. Ive had to replace them in the past. They anchor at enough spots, and are protected from damage from truck frame. I personally dont thing that they would make a very good fuel storage device thats out in the open.

/ Diesel Storage Tank #25  
I only use about 150 gallons a year and it is about 3 miles to the gas station so for now I just ‘road-it’ about once a month. Off-road is available and always fresh. I considered a tank and fueling setup but found I was overthinking my situation.

/ Diesel Storage Tank #26  
Vehicle fuel tanks are real thin, and amazingly flimsy. Ive had to replace them in the past. They anchor at enough spots, and are protected from damage from truck frame. I personally dont thing that they would make a very good fuel storage device thats out in the open.

Agreed. Aluminum tanks are fairly heavy walled but steel tanks are light gauge.

Personally I would rather use a 45 gallon drum with a barrel pump.

/ Diesel Storage Tank #27  
I have a 275 gal, square plastic "tote" surrounded by an aluminum cage. Landscapers use them a lot for hauling water. Safe for diesel, but I wouldn't put gas in it. Cost me $40. They ship them full of soap or non-toxic food chemicals from China. Check on your local Craigs List for them. Rinse it out good, air dry it, and put all the diesel you want in it. Most farm diesel delivery services won't balk at putting diesel in it. If you can't get it delivered, just don't fill it too full at your local gas station where you can't lift it with your tractor (don't know what your lift capacity is in lbs)

I use a 12v submersible pump ($18 on ebay) to pump from tank to tractor. Takes me about a minute to set up, a minute to fill the tank, and another minute to tear down and store the pump. I have the tank in my 2nd garage where the tractor is stored.

If that is too big for you, go to your local automated car wash, and ask for a couple of their empty soap barrels. They usually come in 15 & 30 gal sizes. I have a 30 gal that I store gasoline in. The manager gave it to me for free. I put it on a 4 wheel dolly, strap it down tight, and roll it around to the vehicle. Works great. Could use a hand truck as well if you wanted.

Been doing this for over 2 years now, and haven't lost a drop to leaks.

/ Diesel Storage Tank #28  
So you've seen lots of options. The most important is venting and temp control. The longer the fuel sits the worse the problem. The most critical is generator stored diesel, could get very old before needed, in those cases a check valve, drier breather vent is important

Attachments

• DRIER2.jpg
    DRIER2.jpg
    775.1 KB · Views: 84
   / Diesel Storage Tank #29  
How big are the typical saddle tanks on most trucks? I've got a couple of wrecking yards not too far away and got to thinking about one of those. They're more rectangular and stable than the round plastic 55 gallon barrel I have now and would be pretty easy to mount on a pallet.

75 to 100 gallons....

/ Diesel Storage Tank #30