Diesel Storage

/ Diesel Storage #31  
Originally Posted by PoorMansCat
See, I don't plan on moving the barrel. I am ALWAYS at the fuel station (at least once a day with my svc. truck)
9*I plan on just carrying a 5 gallon fuel can and filling it up on occasion. When I get home, I can transfer it to the 55 gallon barrel.
10*The hand pump I have looked at will pump both directions,(actually a cheapo from Northern Tools) dependent on which way you turn the crank. No lifting involved, drop the hose in the fuel can, turn the pump one way and it will transfer it into the storage barrel. Turn the crank the other way and it will pull fuel out of the barrel into my Kubota!!.

9*I don't see /understand what you gain by doing this ??
Don't you still have to lift the 5 gallon can to dump it into the barrel jus like you would to dump the can of fuel into your tractor?
10*Why not just get another barrel and use the pump to fill the other drum/barrell and do away with the 5 gallon can/cans compleatly ?

Not in my case, The two way pump will allow me to pump the fuel from the 5 gal. can into the storage drum. THen, when I get ready to fuel my tractor, I will just pump from the drum into the tractor. I believe the pump is called a bi-directional barrel pump.
My 12 volt pump is plumbed up in such a way that i can pump from and or 2 any container.

/ Diesel Storage #32  
1*Well, that sucks! I always heard that sulfur is actually better for diesels.
2*Figures they would remove it to only make one run to save $$.
Ken - thanks for the reply.
3*Lbrown - Where are you South of Canton? I'm in Dover.
4*Have you shopped around for oil suppliers?

1*Nothing wrong with ULSD now but at first there were some bugs that had to be worked out.
2*That is not the reason that it was done .
It was an EPA issue.
Had they not done it fuel would probably cost you more per gallon than it does now.

3*Marietta at the the end of I 77 in Ohio.
4*We had 4 suppliers / distributors here .
One of them closed up shop .
With my luck it was the one I was using and offered free delivery.
I now haul my own.

/ Diesel Storage #33  
cool... I have a 1/2 in peanut pump.. but that seems like complete overkill... besides, I would have to run an air line.

/ Diesel Storage #34  
1*Nothing wrong with ULSD now but at first there were some bugs that had to be worked out.

LB,

are you sure about that? My understanding is that older engines expected the better lubricity properties of higher sulfur fuel and they are not getting adequate lube from ULSD.

I've heard that adding marine two cycle oil helps significantly.

Ken

/ Diesel Storage #35  
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/oil-fuel-lubricants/103041-how-do-you-store-your-5.html

This page of previous thread shows my set-up , Page 6 and I discuss it .

I had it filled in '03 ??? , ( know for sure it was before '05 as that was when we got our new house ) . A can of fuel conditioner or similar every year and thats been it . Down to maybe a third left with no problems yet . Pull tractor right up in front and crank the handle .

Fred H.

/ Diesel Storage #36  
Im my area we still have LSD. The pumps still list the off-raod as LSD 15PPm or whatever. Talked to the distributor i just bought 55 gallons at $2.69 and he said yes its LSD. The place 50 miles down the road i got 10 gallons a few weeks ago had LSD printed on their receips, so i guess still have LSD off-raod, i failed to notice the pump though. My guess is that they would have used the ULSD slot on the recipt if it was really ULSD.

This seems to come up every 3-4 months.

/ Diesel Storage #37  
Let's hope your ethanol in petrol pushers don't try something similar with diesel as they have over here.

Over here red diesel will have to be ULSD from January, and most of it will be dyed road diesel which also contains 7% biodiesel.

This is putting me off buying in bulk now - with all stories of bacterial growth and water absorbtion - so I shall stick to 20L jerry cans.

J