Diesel transfer tank on a trailer

/ Diesel transfer tank on a trailer #1  

Tomtint

Elite Member
Tractor
L3700SU
Has anyone done this ? I was given a pretty nice 75-80 gal L shaped tank and I'm thinking about placing it at the front of my trailer. Thought that putting the long end going toward the the hitch and the taller part toward the back. I'm not sure if it would interfere with turning the trailer. But I'm relatively sure losing the 12" or so of deck space up front won't be a big deal.

/ Diesel transfer tank on a trailer #2  
The only drawback I can see would be the increased tongue weight

/ Diesel transfer tank on a trailer
I hadn't thought about the young weight .. thanks. I suspect if the tank is full it will add about 500 lbs to it. More often than not, there would be a machine of some sort on the trailer at the same time. Only time there wouldn't be is if I took the trailer alone to get fuel.

/ Diesel transfer tank on a trailer #4  
I am a Canadian so do not know transportation and environmental laws where you live.

I would be making inquires about is there a volume threshold where your tank on a trailer is considered a fuel delivery vehicle requiring a sorts of large labeling, the mandatory carrying of a fire extinguisher, a formal spill action plan you develop to document how you would deal with a situation where your tank splits and starts to leak.

I would also be making certain my own motor vehicle insurer knows about the tank so if there is a spill they will be handling the bill.

From being in charge of environmental cleanups around schools, one incident comes to mind. The school's underground heating oil tank leaked. We were ordered to remove hundreds of dump truck loads of contaminated soil to an environmental disposal site two hours away. The dump trucks had tailgate physical locks in addition to the one which has a handle near the driver's door. One driver forgot to dog these safety latches down and on the bumpy drive to the environmental dump the tailgate opened a bit and contaminated soil was dribbling out over miles of highway. The cost to clean that up was in the millions.

Perhaps you will confirm it is not different than having the tank in the back of a pickup but at least you would not be taking a big risk financially.

Dave M7040

/ Diesel transfer tank on a trailer #5  
I am a Canadian so do not know transportation and environmental laws where you live.

I would be making inquires about is there a volume threshold where your tank on a trailer is considered a fuel delivery vehicle requiring a sorts of large labeling, the mandatory carrying of a fire extinguisher, a formal spill action plan you develop to document how you would deal with a situation where your tank splits and starts to leak.
I would also be making certain my own motor vehicle insurer knows about the tank so if there is a spill they will be handling the bill.
Dave M7040

Don't forget that the tank MUST be properly attached to the trailer, not just chained down. Also don't forget that there is a hazmat endorsement for your license. In the 'states there are a whole lot of hoops to jump through. I think if it was me, I would check out the legal stuff with your local D.O.T. first before going any further.

/ Diesel transfer tank on a trailer #6  
What I've found out about transporting fuel is 110 and 190 gallons. Those are the majic numbers. If I remember right 110 was all that was allowed without permits and 190 was for special placards and hazmat certification.

/ Diesel transfer tank on a trailer #7  
I know there is a 50 gallon gas tank on a trailer I own and its completely legal. It's called a boat.

/ Diesel transfer tank on a trailer #8  
I know there is a 50 gallon gas tank on a trailer I own and its completely legal. It's called a boat.

Hahaha!!! Mine holds 65 plus... The boat I mean. Other wise I have a 500 gal tank on a trailer no one knows about!!! :laughing:

/ Diesel transfer tank on a trailer #9  
We had done this same exact thing at work. If it's a small transfer tank (<= 110 gallons) that would normally go in the back of a pickup you shouldn't have any issues. Like others have said make sure it is properly bolted to the trailer. We had even considered having our mechanic wire it up through the trailer plug be we ended up putting the tank in a different truck before it was necessary.

/ Diesel transfer tank on a trailer #10  
Tomtint, see your location is Boston so would think the tank would be very noticable compared to where I live with lot of construction, farming and logging equipment here with many fuel tanks on the road and no doubt many do not meet some regulations as a 250 gallon or so tanks with axle and toungue mounted to made a trailer on the road right often. You may need If you are talking about mounting on the tongue would sure be no isssue with being turned into by tow vechile. Think you can balance the toungue weight ok with size of tank you are using. I use a small trailer with a 150 gallon tank which is seldom on the road other than get fuel and then parked. I have at the very front of the bed and it works well for me. You may need locks to prevent fuel theft and also contamination by evil doers. Watch the fuel line from your pump to be sure it can not drop while transporting. Do not trust the standard simple hose holder on a pump without testing. A easy way to damage and hose and a very easy way to spill fuel on the road.