diesel winter storage

/ diesel winter storage #11  
hold on -- didn't you say winter storage? Do you mean your diesel engine equipment you want to store for winter will not be used till warmer weather? If this is the case - then no gelling issues will be concerned with. diesel will always revert back to ungelled state when temps rises above the waxing point. If there is an off chance that you will use your diesel equipment when temps is lower then cloud point of diesel. What is the cloud point ? well -- it depends on the blend you have in your tank at the moment. could be 40 F degrees or low as -10 F.

If you will use your diesel then put in additives.

/ diesel winter storage #12  
Always seems strange that guys in far more southern and warmer climates are far more crazy about additives than up here where it can be -40 . For winter diesel i dont know many farmers that use any additives but some truckers do buying unknown fuel , i will use it if buying a vehicle with a tank full of unknown or any trace of summer fuel is left in the tank very rare otherwise. I dont think i've ever had a machine gel in my life ?

/ diesel winter storage #13  
Always seems strange that guys in far more southern and warmer climates are far more crazy about additives than up here where it can be -40 . For winter diesel i dont know many farmers that use any additives but some truckers do buying unknown fuel , i will use it if buying a vehicle with a tank full of unknown or any trace of summer fuel is left in the tank very rare otherwise. I dont think i've ever had a machine gel in my life ?

Its because your fuel is treated and a winter blend. We've had two gelled up trucks and thats enough to make you want to take preventive measures.

Chris

/ diesel winter storage #14  

I think I've seen only a handful as well and it was truckers coming up from the south that had all the issues. Yea, if I were them I would have taken some counter measure. Our equipment stays inside though so by the time the fuel has time to cool down the engine is already heated up and dumping warm fuel back into the tank from the injector return lines, never has a chance to get cold.

/ diesel winter storage #15  
I don't use any thing for gelling and never had a problem but then my temps rarely go below 25F although we got some 15 F around Christmas. I did buy some of the diesel treatment for storage last year just to be on the safe side since my storage tank may go a year between fill ups. The first couple years I didn't do anything and had no problems. I saw this diesel treatment stuff and said what the heck, put some in the tank, not that expensive which is what I think most of the treatments are good for, peace of mind. However for gasoline, Stabil does work to keep the fuel fresher for 6 month or more. I put it in all the gas I buy as soon as I get it home including the non-ethanol as I know it works. All gas engine lawnmowers get a booster shot when winter storage time comes around.