Tires Diff between R1 and R4 tires?

/ Diff between R1 and R4 tires? #1  

jandpp

Tractor
Kubota B8200HST, Kubota L2900GST
Title says it all. Can anyone tell me the difference?
thanks

/ Diff between R1 and R4 tires? #2  
R1's are your general agricultural tire. Deep v bar pattern, best in muddy conditions and deep snow. R4's, generally called industrial, also have a bar pattern but the bars tend to be closer together and flatter. The R4's will cause shallower impressions on soft lawn than the R1, usually have more plies and stiffer sidewalls (a plus for heavy loader work), cost more but will load up easier in snow and mud.

/ Diff between R1 and R4 tires? #3  
Gerald gave a good description. Since you are probably new to tractors you are likely to be satisfied with R4s. But if you were used to the general superior traction offered by R1s you would need a good reason to settle for R4s.
larry

/ Diff between R1 and R4 tires? #4  
Larry, have you ever run out of power or traction with your 7520? I have R4s on my 7520 and I run out of power before I run out of traction. My only gripe with my R4s is that I wish that they were as tall as the R1s.

/ Diff between R1 and R4 tires? #5  
It depends what gear. At 12000# including the 2000 90% fill liquid in the tires I can run out of power using the hydraulics pushing and lifting in second gear. The added downforce traction and hydraulic HP will bog the engine. In 1st there is always power to spare if Im above 1500rpm. Your tractor should be a little heavier, but is geared lower due the tire dia. Im surprised you would ever run out of power ina low gear unless youre on pavement or maybe hardpack.
larry

/ Diff between R1 and R4 tires?
Thanks guys. One of my tractors has turf tires. The latest one I got has R1s. Both have loaders. I like the better traction with the R1s but they churn up the dirt/frozen mud around my barn. I was wondering if R4s were something in between. This sounds like the case although R4s are closer to R1s than turf tires.

jim

/ Diff between R1 and R4 tires? #7  
R3 TURF
R1 AG
R4 Industrial-Multi-purpose

r3_r4_r1_tires_2.gif

/ Diff between R1 and R4 tires? #8  
My son and I were recently mucking out an old pond with our L5030 with R4's and M8540 with R1's and was surprised how well the R4's did. Naturally the R1's worked better, but we did have to take it out from time to time and run it down the field road to clean the treads. Once R4's and R1's were mud packed there wasn't any difference in traction.

Overall I am happy with the R4's on the L5030 and R1's on the M8540; don't really know that only people with little experience choose R4's.

/ Diff between R1 and R4 tires? #9  
Thanks guys. One of my tractors has turf tires. The latest one I got has R1s. Both have loaders. I like the better traction with the R1s but they churn up the dirt/frozen mud around my barn. I was wondering if R4s were something in between. This sounds like the case although R4s are closer to R1s than turf tires.

jim

R4's will fill with mud and turn into slimy slicks with near zero traction. They also will swallow straight link chains in between the lugs and be worse with the chains than with out them. (You'll need the more expensive H-bar or ring chains so that won't happen). Side hill traction on snow is also poor with R4's.

/ Diff between R1 and R4 tires? #10  
R4's will fill with mud and turn into slimy slicks with near zero traction. They also will swallow straight link chains in between the lugs and be worse with the chains than with out them. (You'll need the more expensive H-bar or ring chains so that won't happen). Side hill traction on snow is also poor with R4's.

I have never experienced this. I have R4's on my tractor, which is very light to begin with, I do not have chains. My tractor was purchased first and foremost to be a snow beast. Last year was the heaviest winter in 30 years in NE, and it has zero problems. This is scooping heaping buckets of snow and pushing a 64 inch snow blower. Put it in 4x4 and away we go. It can drag a 72 inch box blade full with wet sticky clay without issue as well. I also used it to pull logs and dead fall out of the woods in soft soil without issue. R4's work pretty well and give sufficient traction for all conditions I have encountered. I have never gone swampin though.