Difference between Hydro Shuttle and Power Shuttle

/ Difference between Hydro Shuttle and Power Shuttle #1  

trctorfan17

Silver Member
Tractor
none
Hi,

What is the difference between Hydro shuttle and Power Shuttle? For example, DK4510 comes with hydro shuttle whereas RX6620PS comes with power shuttle.

Don't they both come with clutch, L-M-H gear, 1-2-3-4 gear, and forward-reverse lever?

Thank you,

/ Difference between Hydro Shuttle and Power Shuttle #2  
no idea about either tractor. some things for you to check into.

range selections (L-M-H) or 1-4
gear selections (1-3) (1-4)

range x gear = amount of gears you have.

power reverse or something like that = same speed forward and backwards. nice if you are doing FEL work. or say dealing with a driveway and needing to work forward, but then needing to turn around on each end of driveway to get all the back to other end. instead just put it in reverse and go like crazy

there might be a "creeper gear" extra slow gear. might be an addition to gear range selections or another lever / button. it says creeper for a reason.

shuttle shift = more than likely a lever by steering wheel, you can flip back and forth much like a turn single lever in a car. and it will send you forward or backwards.

there are different types of "go pedals / gas pedals" per say.
--1 peddle, you just push it to determined your speed.
--1 peddle, but it rocks back and forth, to go forward/backward.
--2 peddles, one forward, one for backwards.

there might be a "dump clutch button" / regen button on FEL (front end loader), to make FEL move quicker.

if TLB (tractor loader backhoe), there most likely some sort of RPM lever when you do a 180 in seat to operate backhoe.

there might be a cruise control option some place.

==============
note, tractors with hydraulic transmissions. are not like an automatic car. and unlike a gear / manual transmission if you ever load engine, the engine will sputter to possible die.

with hydraulic transmissions, as soon as you barely push on the go peddle. that right there gives you the slowest speed for the gear range, and the most torque (power to the wheels)
as soon as you press the peddle all the way down, you have the most speed, but the least amount of torque.

say for example. you got a heavy bucket full of dirt, and your dragging something behind you in the dirt. and your in high range. and 3rd gear. there is a possibility a pressure switch is coming on. and causing to come to a slow crawling speed if anything. but say you shifted down to M range, 1st gear, and suddenly tractor just going as fine as it can with peddle all the way down. you then try to shift up to M range, 2nd gear. and you start going slower. this would be the internal pressure switch kicking on. there are no dumb dumb lights that come on when this happens. and it is trail and error.

with above said. hydro shuttle, power shuttle, or any hydraulic transmission. pretty much the same in above regards, but when using tractor for a lot of multipurpose stuff and maintaining property, they are about the only way to go. and easiest things to use once you get a little experience under your belt.

=========
with above said i doubt i could go with a manual/gear transmission. and will stick with some sort of hydraulic transmission. that has a power reverser in it, and a shuttle shift lever, and a single gas peddle. with split rear brakes on the opposite foot of the go peddle. range x gear = 6 or more suggested. getting carried away at least for me 12 or more.

/ Difference between Hydro Shuttle and Power Shuttle
with above said. hydro shuttle, power shuttle, or any hydraulic transmission. pretty much the same in above regards, but when using tractor for a lot of multipurpose stuff and maintaining property, they are about the only way to go. and easiest things to use once you get a little experience under your belt.

Thank you very much Ryan.

So, if I understood you correctly, hydraulic shuttle and power shuttle are synonymous. They both have a clutch (that needs to be used to change range or gear but no need to use it when changing from forward to reverse or vice versa).

HST, on the other hand, only has a range selection and two pedals (forward and reverse).

Why do you think that hydro or power shuttle is the only way to go? Are those better than HST?

I guess, to rephrase, can't you use HST to effectively maintain property? Would hydro shuttle be as good as HST in loader work?

/ Difference between Hydro Shuttle and Power Shuttle #5  
I guess, to rephrase, can't you use HST to effectively maintain property? Would hydro shuttle be as good as HST in loader work?

I've owned both and used them for the same tasks on similar (but different) farms. The HST is greatly superior for loader work, mowing inside tight spaces (small pastures under 1/2 acre, etc.) and anything else that requires constant speed and direction changes. However it's not ideal for mowing large areas or anything else that requires constant high power without frequent direction changes, and it usually costs more.

I have the Kioti hydro-shuttle on my new DK5010 and I like it pretty well. For loader work it is adequate but not nearly as good as HST. However it is ideal for that endless mowing I mentioned, which is a significant part of my tractor work.

I really wish I could just have two tractors because I dislike HST for large-field use (despite cruise control) but it is definitely better for loader work.

I would base your decision on what kind of work you'll do more often and realize that anything is a compromise.

/ Difference between Hydro Shuttle and Power Shuttle #6  
while mowing is a big deal, and can take up many hours and majority of what a tractor might see.

i have 2 tractors, 1 mowing, 1 for everything else. even then i have so many hills both yards, roads, along with turns, that i am constantly adjusting speed. others on other hand might have this near perfect flat property. and about all they need to do is deal with turning. except maybe ditches along the road.

i honestly do not like 2 HST peddles, or a rocker peddle. simple fact, i wear high tops, and/or boots. and my ankle muscles are just not there to constantly adjust peddles, or i might need to raise my leg some so i can attack the peddle better, or i might be wearing flip flops. i also tend to be on 3pt hitch levers, FEL levers, with one hand. another foot on split brakes, and one hand on steering wheel, and looking behind me. my hand just finds that shuttle shift lever by steering wheel nice and quick. and if i am going a bit to fast switch from forward to reverse or vice vs. i actually have a hand i can brace myself with onto the steering wheel. if i brace with feet i either hit brakes or go peddle, and other hand will cause FEL to move or 3pt hitch to move.

granted i can see why folks like HST peddles. its just not for me. it is simply a matter of were the controls are and how they interact choice.

=============
with above said, get out there and physically set in tractors you are looking at, then go to a couple other tractor manufacture dealerships in your area, and hope in them and go for a test drive as well. creature comfort can be different in between different models from same manufacture.

/ Difference between Hydro Shuttle and Power Shuttle #7  
I've owned both and used them for the same tasks on similar (but different) farms.

The HST is greatly superior for loader work, mowing inside tight spaces (small pastures under 1/2 acre, etc.) and anything else that requires constant speed and direction changes. However it's not ideal for mowing large areas or anything else that requires constant high power without frequent direction changes, and it usually costs more.

I have the Kioti hydro-shuttle on my new DK5010 and I like it pretty well. For loader work it is adequate but not nearly as good as HST. However it is ideal for that endless mowing I mentioned, which is a significant part of my tractor work.

I would base your decision on what kind of work you'll do more often and realize that anything is a compromise.

Excellent information. I will tack on a bit more.

If you drive a clutch and gear car or truck you will have no problem with a clutch and gear tractor.

If you will have an employee(s) or family member operating your tractor you almost certainly want HST, which is somewhat similar to car automatic transmission and an easy tractor transition for most people. Most would consider an HST transmission more reliable than clutch and gear for this reason. ~~~You do not want anyone learning clutch and gear coordination on your tractor. Clutch jobs on small tractors are $1,200 each at the dealer's, more for large tractors.

Every tractor engine stall is another opportunity for inexperienced operator to burn up a clutch and gear transmission clutch. HST tractors have max torque at beginning of load application. They are less prone to stall when starting the pull with ground contact implements and/or beginning to move up hills.

HST equipped tractors have automatic engine braking when foot pedal is released. On sloping land this can be very important. Critically important on tractors with only 2-WD, which are brake challenged moving down slopes.

Probably 90% plus of small tractors are sold with HST transmissions. Trying to sell a small tractor with clutch and gear can be difficult and negatively effect sale price considerably.

Fuel use for HST is about 10% higher per hour than clutch and gear. For large tractors, making long pulls in fields, this favors clutch and gear tractors. Tractors of eighty horsepower and up are not offered with HST, only with gear transmissions for this reason.

Last edited:
Jeff, Ryan, and Z-Michigan,

Thank you very much for the perfect explanation.

Given that I may hire people to operate my tractor and will want to sell in several years, together with the ease of operation and despite the extra gas cost, it is a no brainer that I have to go for an HST.

/ Difference between Hydro Shuttle and Power Shuttle #9  
The KIOTI Tractors, Hydro-Shuttle and Power Shuttle are 2 different transmissions. The Hydro-Shuttle is a mechanical clutch shuttle transmission based on 2 hydraulic clutch packs actuated by an electric-over-hydraulic solenoid valves that open and close the forward and reverse clutch packs. The Power Shuttle transmission uses a Power Shuttle Controller to monitor fluid pressure, ground speed, and temperature to control the electric-over-hydraulic shuttle valves and clutch packs. They operate in similar ways for shuttling the transmissions from forward to reverse, you can shuttle without using the clutch. The Power Shuttle transmission monitors the tractor conditions to control the shuttle. For example, in the hydro-shuttle, if you were travelling 5 mph and shuttled the transmission for forward to reverse, the hydraulic clutch packs would attempt to perform the shuttle, and possibly damage the clutch packs. With the Power Shuttle Transmission, if you shuttle at 5mph, the tractor senses the ground speed, slows the tractor down to a safe shuttle speed, then shuttles the transmission. The hydro-shuttle transmission has a mechanical clutch pedal, the power shuttle has the electric-over-hydraulic clutch.

Hope this helps

The KIOTI Tractors, Hydro-Shuttle and Power Shuttle are 2 different transmissions. The Hydro-Shuttle is a mechanical clutch shuttle transmission based on 2 hydraulic clutch packs actuated by an electric-over-hydraulic solenoid valves that open and close the forward and reverse clutch packs. The Power Shuttle transmission uses a Power Shuttle Controller to monitor fluid pressure, ground speed, and temperature to control the electric-over-hydraulic shuttle valves and clutch packs. They operate in similar ways for shuttling the transmissions from forward to reverse, you can shuttle without using the clutch. The Power Shuttle transmission monitors the tractor conditions to control the shuttle. For example, in the hydro-shuttle, if you were travelling 5 mph and shuttled the transmission for forward to reverse, the hydraulic clutch packs would attempt to perform the shuttle, and possibly damage the clutch packs. With the Power Shuttle Transmission, if you shuttle at 5mph, the tractor senses the ground speed, slows the tractor down to a safe shuttle speed, then shuttles the transmission. The hydro-shuttle transmission has a mechanical clutch pedal, the power shuttle has the electric-over-hydraulic clutch.

Hope this helps

Thank you very much MichiganIron.

So, based on that, it may be good to slow down and push foot clutch before switching from froward to reverse in the Hydro shuttle...in order to avoid damaging the clutch.

Also, it means that I am better off getting HST or Power Shuttle than Hydro Shuttle.