Comparison Difference between MF-135 and MF-150?

/ Difference between MF-135 and MF-150? #1  

slhilbert

Bronze Member
Tractor
Massey Ferguson 135
I have a MF-135, which I really like. The only thing I think I want on it that I don't have is a loader. Someone local is selling an MF-150 with a loader.

I looked into the differences between an MF-135 and MF-150 and from what I can tell there isn't much. I suspect that the MF-150 is a slightly larger tractor, but it seems to use the same engine as the MF-135. That seems to be a bit of a disadvantage to me.

Does anyone have any insight on the MF-150.

Thanks,
Stuart

/ Difference between MF-135 and MF-150? #2  
I have a MF-135, which I really like. The only thing I think I want on it that I don't have is a loader. Someone local is selling an MF-150 with a loader.

I looked into the differences between an MF-135 and MF-150 and from what I can tell there isn't much. I suspect that the MF-150 is a slightly larger tractor, but it seems to use the same engine as the MF-135. That seems to be a bit of a disadvantage to me.

Does anyone have any insight on the MF-150.

Thanks,
Stuart

Bigger Front Axle that can support a FEL.

/ Difference between MF-135 and MF-150? #3  
The 150 has a bigger front axle, a longer wheelbase that makes it feel less tippy, a larger operator station (which helps once you let the FEL levers rob you of some space in the wheelhouse), and a more solid feel when under a load.

At first glance, the criticism that a 150 is just an underpowered 165 sounds logical. However, it is difficult to work a 150 hard enough to run out of horsepower, and the more stable platform of the 150 makes it feel stronger than a 135.

/ Difference between MF-135 and MF-150?
The 150 has a bigger front axle, a longer wheelbase that makes it feel less tippy, a larger operator station (which helps once you let the FEL levers rob you of some space in the wheelhouse), and a more solid feel when under a load.

At first glance, the criticism that a 150 is just an underpowered 165 sounds logical. However, it is difficult to work a 150 hard enough to run out of horsepower, and the more stable platform of the 150 makes it feel stronger than a 135.

I spoke to the gentleman today selling the tractor and he said it has a Continental Six Cylinder Gas Engine in it. I can't seem to find the specs on that engine matched to a 150 but I am sure he is right. I would guess that has a bit more horsepower than my 3 cylinder gas perkins.

Going to try to go check it out Friday so I might know more then.

Stuart

/ Difference between MF-135 and MF-150? #5  
Bigger Front Axle that can support a FEL.

Righto. The front axle on my 1964 MF135 diesel looks like a toy compared to that on my 2008 Mahindra 5525 that carries an FEL with a 6-ft wide bucket and has about 3000 lb lift capacity at the pins to 10.5 ft height.

In addition, the MF135 does not have true power steering (provided by a hydraulic ram attached to the steering linkage on the front axle). The MF135 has "power assisted steering" provided by a dinky hydraulic gizmo on the steering column. Power steering comes in real handy when doing heavy duty FEL work. Muscling a MF135 around a hayfield is one way to get a good upper body workout. I assume the MF150 has the same arrangement as the MF135 for "power steering". I have seen photos of retrofits done on MF135s that add the hydraulic ram for true power steering.

Good luck

/ Difference between MF-135 and MF-150? #6  
unlikely it has a 6 cylinder engine Either a Z134 four cylinder or a Z145 four cylinder.... Either way not enough difference to switch from a 135 to a 150 unless you are gaining power steering, live PTO or like new tires.

I had a mf 35 (precursor to the 135 ) with power assist and a FEl no issues for me in 15 yrs that I owned it