Differential Lock Pedal

/ Differential Lock Pedal #31  
Any of the dif loc problems that I have had to dealt with, on the 15 and 16 series tractors have just required an adjustment.

/ Differential Lock Pedal #32  
Any of the dif loc problems that I have had to dealt with, on the 15 and 16 series tractors have just required an adjustment.

Well, that's very encouraging! Is there any place (website, link, repair manual) where that adjustment is clearly pictured, with walk through, step by step instructions?

Thankyou

/ Differential Lock Pedal #33  
We have replaced a few of the sliding cogs on the 3215/3316, but we sold a bunch of those models. The sliding cog is made of a much softer material than the part with which it mates, which is actually part of the rear differential. So if a guy engages the diff lock with the wheels spinning agressively, it damages the cog and leaves the differential just fine. It's a cheap part, less than an air filter if I recall correctly :rolleyes:, but requires removing the axle housing to access it. Not a big job at all for a shop. Maybe the sliding cog should be made out of a touch harder material, but still softer than the diff. I'm not an engineer, but certainly that is the side we want to fail if one side must fail.

Also, on some tractors the lever did not fully depress or engage the cog, and a partially engaged cog will round out easily. So that should be checked and adjusted as Galen mentioned.

Every tractor (or car model or truck or whatever) has room for improvement, and just because we acknowledge that fact does not mean a manufacturer owes to fix an out-of-warranty situation. I think if you had a barely out of warranty situation, maybe a month or two out and you incurred a problem that you realized is not an isolated event, it might be good business for a manufacturer or dealer to take care of the problem, but strictly speaking when the time/hours runs past the warranty agreement, their obligation is over.

/ Differential Lock Pedal #34  
Well, that's very encouraging! Is there any place (website, link, repair manual) where that adjustment is clearly pictured, with walk through, step by step instructions?

Thankyou

I don't think so. You won't have a diff lock issue with a Max28XL. If you have a 3215/3316, you can stop by your dealer and he can show you what to look for and fix it for you if need be.

/ Differential Lock Pedal #35  
We have replaced a few of the sliding cogs on the 3215/3316, but we sold a bunch of those models. The sliding cog is made of a much softer material than the part with which it mates, which is actually part of the rear differential. So if a guy engages the diff lock with the wheels spinning agressively, it damages the cog and leaves the differential just fine. It's a cheap part, less than an air filter if I recall correctly :rolleyes:, but requires removing the axle housing to access it. Not a big job at all for a shop. Maybe the sliding cog should be made out of a touch harder material, but still softer than the diff. I'm not an engineer, but certainly that is the side we want to fail if one side must fail.

Also, on some tractors the lever did not fully depress or engage the cog, and a partially engaged cog will round out easily. So that should be checked and adjusted as Galen mentioned.

Every tractor (or car model or truck or whatever) has room for improvement, and just because we acknowledge that fact does not mean a manufacturer owes to fix an out-of-warranty situation. I think if you had a barely out of warranty situation, maybe a month or two out and you incurred a problem that you realized is not an isolated event, it might be good business for a manufacturer or dealer to take care of the problem, but strictly speaking when the time/hours runs past the warranty agreement, their obligation is over.
I agree with having the cheaper, easier to fix part be the weak part. That is good engineering.
And I have the adjustment sheet for the diff lock lever already.
Like I said, this happened a long time ago. I don't remember exactly when. I think I contacted you or Galen one near that time, anyway... If my dealer hadn't run away (and that is exactly what happened, I found out afterwards) I could have just taken it back to him, 20 miles away, instead of 40. (The SECOND closest dealer to me ALSO went out of business.) So that is an hour + of travel and I don't have a trailer to haul it on.
It is just really frustrating for me.