differing front hubs....MarlinSlayer...stumped...one more in a series.

/ differing front hubs....MarlinSlayer...stumped...one more in a series. #1  

MarlinSlayer

Bronze Member
Tractor
Ford Jubilee!
Well I described earlier that my front spindles were toast. The thrust bearings were gone on each side, and the spindles were severely worn. I have my new spindles and took the hubs off the old spindles. I do have new bearing kits, but I'm not sure it will work with both sides because I have mix matched bearings, and not sure the internal dimensions are the same. In any case, through feel, and visual inspection, and also because the hub doesn't wiggle on the spindle, the bearings in the hub are still good and the castle nut is like new. (PO must have recently changed front wheel bearings.) Since I am going to be pretty rough on the tractor, I'll change the bearings next year when I paint.

I am including two pictures. The inside of each hub is visible.....looks like two different models of hub....is one newer? The seal/bearing kits I have look like they fit on the hub on the right. The left looks like it has a lip, the right one does not. The left also has a significant rubber dust seal. Since I'm keeping the bearings for now, it is really somewhat an academic question, but assuming the hub on the right uses a new style bearing, then can that bearing also fit the hub on the left?

[URL=http://s998.photobucket.com/user/wtss1/media/IMG_1024_zpsy1jmukux.jpg.html][/URL]

do I need to get two separate bearing kits? From the side you can notice one in the foreground has a lip and the one in the distance does not. That also has the seal like the new bearing/seal kits I have.

Also, when I remount this hub to the spindle, how much grease do you put in?....isit enough to fill the entire void in the hub where the spindle isn't, or do you just pack the bearings (leaving the old ones in there because they are still good) and then squirt in some extra?

[URL=http://s998.photobucket.com/user/wtss1/media/IMG_1025_zpscojj4ebc.jpg.html][/URL]

/ differing front hubs....MarlinSlayer...stumped...one more in a series. #2  
I personally fill voids, but beware to push grease past dust seals.

Not uncommon to see mismatched hubs fitting a common spindle. I have a couple machines with a newer different hub

/ differing front hubs....MarlinSlayer...stumped...one more in a series.
I personally fill voids, but beware to push grease past dust seals.

Not uncommon to see mismatched hubs fitting a common spindle. I have a couple machines with a newer different hub

Do you have knowledge about whether a replacement seal kit will fit both hubs, or does each type of hub have it's own seal kit.....

/ differing front hubs....MarlinSlayer...stumped...one more in a series. #4  
you will need to id each hub.. they are unknowns right now.