Dirt Moving Diggin' a pond with my CK20s

/ Diggin' a pond with my CK20s #31  
Thanks Gary, man I wish I had a bigger tractor like yours, I'd like to start "haying" but I might have to upgrade first. You definitely have alot more rocks than I do, but I think it's just because this used to be farm land, and they already removed most of the rocks. I agree with you on the banks of the pond. I'm wondering where the high spots are going to be also. I'm planning to add an overflow drain out of the back, when I get to it. As for the "kidney" shape, I originally planned it as an oval, but the trees kinda forced me to shape it that way when I made it bigger. I'm glad now because it looks pretty cool. Here's a pic of the larger dirt pile that I took out of the pond. The other pile is about 1/2 this size.

Take a look at the pond photo of mine and in the one with it full of water to the lower right hand corner is where I let out the overflow. I was going to put in a pipe like you on the lower end, but before I got around to doing it, it overflowed and I was out of the country so my brother in law just used his front in loader and cut the side of the levee on the upper end to let the water out so it wouldnt wash away my lower end dam. He had made a pond per Arkansas Soil Conservation specs and that was what they required. NO pipe as they said it couldnt be sized to take care of unexpected rain fall. They require a spill way put in on the UPPER end where water enters and then directed around the perimeter beyond the dam walls. It works very well and is easy to put in, just cut a trench around the ponds upper dam walls. Its real easy to find the right depth when the pond is overflowing, just cut it a few inches below where the water starts to run out. You might need some rip rap in the sluiceway to keep down erosion. I put some rocks in mine where it runs thru the dam wall so it doesnt wash out any deeper and then the grass takes care of the rest of the fall back to a creek about 30 feet behind the back of the pond. You could do the same for yours and forget about a pipe overflow.

/ Diggin' a pond with my CK20s #32  
On the tractor size, Yes I like my big ole tractor but it is way too big for many chores so I bought a B26 Kubota (26 engine HP) which I use a lot for most of my chores now. Mostly I use the LS to move dirt or rocks, disc and bushhog if I ever need to again. Due to drought I havent had to hook up to it in 2 years.

/ Diggin' a pond with my CK20s #33  
Well guys i am impressed, firstly with the size hole you had in the groung and such a small tractor working the job. But you cant under estimate a Kioti when it comes to work. Mine amazes me when it comes to work and big jobs.
This past fall i dug my pond deeper, mine is kinda the shape of a cereal bowl, about 60 feet at the top in diameter and 20 feet deep in the center. I started out with about 2 inches of water in a puddle about 3 feet across. Its iced over now and about 40 feet across and i expect it to do well this year. My question is how come your tractors are so clean? Heres a pic of by bobcat 190 TSL and it wasnt clean. Must have did something wrong . . . .John

Attachments

• my kinda cat.jpg
    my kinda cat.jpg
    401.1 KB · Views: 180
   / Diggin' a pond with my CK20s
2013-02-15_16-16-18_971.jpg

The pond is nearly full already - the deep end is probably 7' + by now!

I'm very pleased with the shape - I think this year I'll spend some more time contouring the yard toward the pond and tapering the banks a bit more, maybe clear a few more trees around it to cut down on the leaves.

/ Diggin' a pond with my CK20s #35  
I am impressed with how full it has gotten. This is a ground water pond, is that right? No inlet stream and no outlet stream? It will be interesting to see how the level varies over the course of the year.

My pond, similar to yours, is full in the spring and half full in August. My pond was dug on the edge of a 5 acre swamp (wetlands for the PC) and has a 22 acre drainage basin, but if it doesn't rain much in July Aug it gets pretty low. I use it for irrigation.

/ Diggin' a pond with my CK20s #36  
View attachment 303411

The pond is nearly full already - the deep end is probably 7' + by now!

I'm very pleased with the shape - I think this year I'll spend some more time contouring the yard toward the pond and tapering the banks a bit more, maybe clear a few more trees around it to cut down on the leaves.
Now that you have the bigger tractor, is a bigger pond in your future? Or maybe just use it to move that mountain of dirt from the pond excavation a future project.

Now that you have the bigger tractor, is a bigger pond in your future? Or maybe just use it to move that mountain of dirt from the pond excavation a future project.

I just might, not much bigger tho. It will b for irrigation where I want to plant some things, but still mapping everything out.

Here's an updated pic... Definitely full now (over full actually, yesterday it was running over on the back)

Sent from my Motorola Photon using TractorByNet for Android

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130312_102921.png
    ForumRunner_20130312_102921.png
    664.4 KB · Views: 226
   / Diggin' a pond with my CK20s #38  
Around these parts, folks install an overflow pipe that leads under the dam to a low spot outside the dam. I've seen 4-6 inch PVC and also copper (older dams). There is usually a slot cut in the pipe about 6 inches below the top for gradual draining before the water reaches the overflow level.

Around these parts, folks install an overflow pipe that leads under the dam to a low spot outside the dam. I've seen 4-6 inch PVC and also copper (older dams). There is usually a slot cut in the pipe about 6 inches below the top for gradual draining before the water reaches the overflow level.

That's exactly what I'm planning to do this year, along with re-routing my sump pump drain into the pond. I just have to find the appropriate location to route the drain

Sent from my Motorola Smartphone w/ TractorByNet for Android

Sorry, meant for another thread