"digging" a trench

/ "digging" a trench #11  
Re: \"digging\" a trench

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( </font><font color="blueclass=small">( I believe MN code is 48", and around the Canadian border is as much as 60"-72"
)</font>

Wheww...imagine how deep you'd have to dig once you were well into Canada! /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Kevin )</font>

Just to be techincal, here in southern Minnesota code is 5' deep, and they prefer 6' especially in compacted (under a driveway where snow is removed) areas. Frostline is 3' deep most every year, frequently goes 4'. This year we had little snow & dry ground & it got -28F a couple nights in a row, that pushed the 5' limit quite hard, a lot of waterlines got dug up this spring. I'm forunate to have livestock so the water runs quite a bit, helps to keep things moving.

--->Paul

/ "digging" a trench #12  

Yes, code might only be 5' or 6', but it is common practice to run the water line out the bottom of the basement floor which puts it at 8 or 9' deep.

The line at the street is also usually deeper than 5'. At my house it was about 10' deep.

It cost me almost as much to dig the water line as it did to excavate the whole basement. By the time they were done, they had a 10' deep, 10'-wide at the bottom trench about 120' long.

Took about 15 minutes to unroll the copper line and connect it. Then they spent the whole afternoon putting the dirt back in the trench, compacting it in 1' lifts.

- Rick

/ "digging" a trench #13  

KENNY: I think I would have had them run about 4 lines at that same time, just cap the others at the end so they wouldn't have to dig up the lenght only the road end for a new line LOL

Mark M /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ "digging" a trench #14  

Great idea!

Anyone ever tried to install something a bit larger? Say a 4" field drain line? Slope on the corrugated flex could be an issue unless the ground is working for you.

From what I have seen on the mfg. sites, the shoe on a middle buster is around 14 inches wide. Might have to make a few passes to get any depth.

Any 'been there, done that's' out there?

/ "digging" a trench #15  

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Great idea!

Anyone ever tried to install something a bit larger? Say a 4" field drain line? Slope on the corrugated flex could be an issue unless the ground is working for you.

..........Any 'been there, done that's' out there? )</font>

I personally have never used the "field drain line", and I wouldn't use it for anything that I would want to snake anything through. It isn't conducive to pulling. The schedule 40 PVC is smooth on the inside and if it is properly coupled, there are no ridges to catch what you are pulling through it. This isn't the type of job to skimp on materials on. Also, it should be set in sand so rocks don't break it

/ "digging" a trench #16  

I copied him last summer, what fun it was. Thinking about extending the line another 300 ft to water another garden this summer.

Slick it is /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

/ "digging" a trench #17  

Junkman,

Wasn't planning on anything pulling anything through the drain tile. I have a few areas that need some drainage work. Been trying to come up with an easy way to dig the trench with the tractor.

/ "digging" a trench #18  

My back deck and some of the foundation took a big hit from frost heaving this winter...we didn't have much snow this winter. I've heard that some places here in Western Maine had frost down 13 feet this winter...no wonder stuff moved around....

/ "digging" a trench #19  

I think I'll try this in a couple of weeks. I'm also in a freezing area but am lucky to have the backyard on a slope. It will naturally drain out the lowest sprinkler and I like the idea of putting some RV antifreeze in the line for winter. The sub-soiler that I first bought was 4" too long for my little Kubota so I returned it and bought a middle buster then screwed a subsoiler end on it. I can only go 10-12" deep. Any other method requires renting a trencher! The problem with renting is that I have to trench everything in a day, then put pipe in before all the ditches cave in. The last time I did that it took me 6 weekends! Never again. I'll trench with subsoiler and put pipe in using Bill's method.

/ "digging" a trench #20  

<font color="blue"> It will naturally drain out the lowest sprinkler and I like the idea of putting some RV antifreeze in the line for winter. </font>

Careful with that idea Dave. The RV anti-freeze I use kills the grass if I spill any /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif