Digging bucket versus carrying bucket on tractor, vs backhoe loader

/ Digging bucket versus carrying bucket on tractor, vs backhoe loader #1  

SmallChange

Platinum Member
Tractor
New Holland WM25 with 200LC front end loader, filled R4 tires 43X16.00-20 and 25X8.50-14 (had a Kubota B6200D with dozer and R1 tires)
My little FEL has a bucket that, I suppose, was designed more for loading materials from a pile, not for digging.

Is there generally a difference between backhoe loaders for construction, and loaders on the fronts of farm tractors? Like, teeth and heavier construction on the construction vehicle, and for the farm vehicle smooth edge and larger bucket volume made of thinner plate?

Mine's a 25 hp CUT (NH WM25), so maybe not even on the scale. I figure it's a miniature farm vehicle more than a miniature construction vehicle. Also, the pivot point for the loader arms is high enough that it's easy to catch the blade and just make the tractor rear up -- a tiny bit if I'm not in float, quite a lot if I am. Having the edge of the blade more aggressive would only fix part of the limitation for me.

/ Digging bucket versus carrying bucket on tractor, vs backhoe loader #2  
You could always add a bolt on tooth bar to your bucket to improve digging but that is not going to make it anywhere near a dedicated loader.

https://www.(Temporarily blocked du...d-Tooth-Bar-for-Tractor-Buckets-p/eta-wtb.htm

/ Digging bucket versus carrying bucket on tractor, vs backhoe loader #3  
If you compare the bucket on a farm tractor the biggest difference I see is size and weight. The construction grade equipment will have a heavier built bucket and a larger bucket. I could dig a really big hole with my little tractor but what would take a large excavator 8 hours would take me days with my tractor. They can dig but that isn’t their forte.

/ Digging bucket versus carrying bucket on tractor, vs backhoe loader #4  
As mentioned by others put a tooth bar on your bucket. It won’t turn it into an excavator but it will be 1000 times better than a shovel.

/ Digging bucket versus carrying bucket on tractor, vs backhoe loader #5  
A construction backhoe isn’t meant to dig with the front bucket either. But teeth will make a big difference. I have a smooth edge bucket and a tooth edge bucket for my skid steer and it easily digs 4x better with the tooth bucket

/ Digging bucket versus carrying bucket on tractor, vs backhoe loader #6  
My little FEL has a bucket that, I suppose, was designed more for loading materials from a pile, not for digging.

Is there generally a difference between backhoe loaders for construction, and loaders on the fronts of farm tractors? Like, teeth and heavier construction on the construction vehicle, and for the farm vehicle smooth edge and larger bucket volume made of thinner plate?
SmallChange,

Front End Loader's are not intended for digging. My M59 TLB at 60 hp and 8,000+ Lbs is rated by Kubota for digging at 2.7" of depth ( Kubota spec attached). It takes weight, hp, and properly designed loader arms to push any bucket into the ground that is why you see special machines ( pay loaders ) designed for digging into ground or pushing their buckets into piles of rail road ballast rock. They are heavy and powerful.

A tractor's FEL is really meant more for picking up relatively loose materials and transporting it.

Yes, putting a tooth bar will improve digging but you are still weight limited.

Hope this helps

Attachments

• 1658705338078.png
    1658705338078.png
    12.8 KB · Views: 58
   / Digging bucket versus carrying bucket on tractor, vs backhoe loader #7  
They are not rated to dig very deep like M59 said but you can certainly dig much deeper than 2.7”. You just have to learn how to do it. On flat ground you just have to get the front wheels headed down hill, if that makes any sense.