Digging graves

/ Digging graves
Update on grave digging. After talking to insurance agent yesterday and getting quotes today I will leave this to others, the cost of commercial insurance is prohibitive. Thanks to everybody for the responses.

Billfires

/ Digging graves #12  
Well, Ed, it looks as if you sent Bill's idea to an early grave. Whew, I never thought of all the complications of the job you pointed out. Sounds like you should charge more for the more difficult circumstances, but I guess you may have to have just a flat fee you can quote in advance.

/ Digging graves #13  
We pretty much have to charge a flat rate. The cemetary board has to approve, but my wife, brother, and my wife's cousin are on the board, so I think I have a good chance of getting a higher rate. I kind of got shainghaied into the job as my dad was on the board before he passed away, and I just kind of got used to doing it.

/ Digging graves #14  
marked or unmarked?

i would charge more for hidden ones....

:)

unless you are very handy with the machine, i would do some practice dodging cones or concrete blocks. knocking over headstones or dropping dirt on them is generally frowned upon.

the people here spread out a tarp and drop dirt on that, keeps the grass in fairly good shape that way.

rate is per hour, higher for frozen ground.
discounts for veterans, active duty killed in the line of duty is free.

i used to mow graveyards, but left the digging to others.

This is why frozen ground fees are higher...you got use propane heaters to thaw it...
thawdawggroundwarmer.jpg