digging postholes

/ digging postholes #1  

braveheart

Hey guy's... have a B7500HST Kubota with downforce. I have 21 hp with 16 at the pto. I am thinking of trading up to a L2600DT for more power , 6.5, at the pto...Will the extra hp help me to dig postholes faster in and out . What are the benefits of the L2600DT for digging. I have started a posthole digging buisness and build custom decks but am starting to get calls for digging. The ground around here is some rocks, palm size, and strong dirt. How about an aggressive head with teeth for digging. The pto's are still turning at 540 rpm...please help...braveheart...

/ digging postholes #2  
As long as your tractor is rated for the posthole digger you will be fine. For example my 4020 JD which is four times the tractor my JD 4600 is won't dig a posthole any better than the 4020. You can only spin the auger so fast. Since there is no downward pressure from the three point on either one it doesn't make any difference. In fact, because the three point is more stable on the 4600 it actually does a better job because it doesn't bounce as much as it does on the JD where you can't take the slack out of the 3 point arms as much.