Digging UP Trees

/ Digging UP Trees #1  

Jag

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota /L2650/ LA450/B4690 -- John Deere 450 Dozer
Hi guys been having so much fun the last few days. The weather is getting right here and the ground is still pretty moist so it is time to clean out some old fences around the o'home place. First cut into the fence and hook onto the wire and pull it out. Then take the brushhog and cut out all the vines and briars and anything up about two inch. Next take the front end loader and push over two to four inch brush hook the FEL under the root ball and pop them up. Now the good fun and the slow part. Hook up the backhoe and dig up the big stuff. On this first strech there was an 8 inch elm that needed to come out. It only took a little less than a hour. The big suprise was a couple of 6 inch persimmons. Most of these had come out fairly easily. push on them get a little lean and make a quick pass on each side with the bucket of the FEL to bust up the roots, one more push to get the root ball up a little, then hook under the root ball and pop it out. But thes two would not push over any. I tried a couple of tricks and nothing worked, ok I will let the backhoe get them out. When I started to work on them I found the problem. They each had 10 to 12 roots. Yes the roots were twice as large as the tree. They must have been at a place on the fence line were the would grow quite a bit before they would get cut down then resprout, this most likely went on for about 20 years, then left alone for the next 15-20 years to get that size. Hope this helps anyone clearing fence lines. Got to get going and do another 50 to 60 yards today.

/ Digging UP Trees #2  
Jag; I was also fooled by a tricky-tree last weekend. A neighbor of mine had a small tree (about 6-inch diameter) that he wanted out. Don't know what type of tree it was, nor how old. Told him that we wouldn't need a backhoe, that I have taken small ones out before, using just a FEL (dig around, push it down). Well, after digging and chopping and pushing, we ended up finding 4 roots that were much larger than the tree's diameter. We finally got it out, but it required a lot more time and ax-swinging than I had planned. (Since it was per-gratis, I did the tractor work, he did the ax-swinging and beer-fetching).

/ Digging UP Trees #3  
Roy, sounds like a gum tree around here in NC. Thay have tap roots from hell. Often I've seen them 4ft down that is bigger than the caliper, and they need to come out..with an ax or a CAT D6!
gary

/ Digging UP Trees #4  
Gary; This 'thing' didn't have large tap roots, these puppies ran horizontal to the ground surface. Once we cut through them, I had no problems breaking the taps buy pushing it over. The guy has a second one of these trees that he wants out. We happen to have a third neighbor who is renting a Case backhoe soon to dig for the foundation for a new garage. Told him to buy the third neighbor a case of beer, and not to call me /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif.

NC! I love the ACC… Terp alumni myself. One day my dream is to see an all-ACC NCAA final four. Maybe this year.

/ Digging UP Trees
Roy, sounds about right, hard to do without the backhoe, takes about 30 min. to a hour per 6-8 inch tree with hoe, all day with just a FEL... Best to your NCAA 4