diging basment under existing building

/ diging basment under existing building #1  

metalmeltr

I recently read an article on wikipedia that mentionded digging a basment under an existing build ing with a skid loader. has anyone ever heard of this being done

/ diging basment under existing building #2  
I recently read an article on wikipedia that mentionded digging a basment under an existing build ing with a skid loader. has anyone ever heard of this being done

I never heard of it with a skid loader, but I've heard about people digging basements in their existing house. I actually lived in a neighboorhood in Idaho Falls a while back where sometime long before I got there, the men in the community organized and went around digging basements under one house after another until everybody got a basement.

It would make sense to me that similar principles would apply to digging it out with a skid loader. I know that all the houses with "aftermarket" basements had a basement footprint that was significantly smaller than the house footprint. In other words, they came in a few feet from the edge of the wall before they started digging.

I'm interested to see what others come up with.

/ diging basment under existing building #3  
I've seen plenty of houses around here have new foundations put under them. They are usually old houses, which originally had fieldstone foundations under them....... but also some that were originally cinder block (the frost does a number on old foundations here). The houses are jacked up slightly, just off the foundation. Then set on steel beams sitting on wood cribbing. The old foundation is removed, or new foundation hole is dug beneath the house........ then a new foundation is poured. Basement windows holes are formed into the concrete just below the steel beams. Then, the house is lowered onto the new foundation...... with the steel beams setting into the window holes. When the beams are removed, windows are put in place. Is this what you are asking about?

/ diging basment under existing building #4  
I have been involved in a few of those projects, back when I was in the
ICF biz. Very interesting projects.

My first was a new basement under a 2-storey 100 yo Victorian in Alameda,
CA. Skid steers are usually used for maneuverability, with a ramp for
access.

Funny thing is, I was just helping a friend get a quotation for such a job, and
it looks like a full basement (unfinished) using ICFs will cost about the same
as our lowest bid for just a foundation replacement using conventional
forms. About $35K for a 1300sf rectangular house, BTW.

/ diging basment under existing building #5  
It is pretty easy. Basically you dig a ramp in the yard approaching one basement wall all the way down to the footing. Then you cut out an opening in the existing basement wall large enough for the skid loader to get through.

Then dig, dig, dig and then pour the new floor. When you have a Civil War era house with a 6 foot basement like I did, you need to move A LOT of dirt out to have a usable basement. A skid loader is the best way to do it over a weekend instead of years of using buckets :)

Just make sure you never disturb the soil near the footings over a 45 degree angle. In other words, if you are digging 2 feet lower than the footings, stay a minimum of 2 feet in from the wall.

Doug

/ diging basment under existing building #6  
It is pretty easy. Basically you dig a ramp in the yard approaching one basement wall all the way down to the footing. Then you cut out an opening in the existing basement wall large enough for the skid loader to get through.

Then dig, dig, dig and then pour the new floor. When you have a Civil War era house with a 6 foot basement like I did, you need to move A LOT of dirt out to have a usable basement. A skid loader is the best way to do it over a weekend instead of years of using buckets :)

Just make sure you never disturb the soil near the footings over a 45 degree angle. In other words, if you are digging 2 feet lower than the footings, stay a minimum of 2 feet in from the wall.

Doug

I've heard that in situations like this where there's an existing basement that's too short, it's cheaper and easier to lift the house than to lower the basement. There's a company around here that will lift your house, pour an extra 2 feet of wall, and put the house back for about $10K.

/ diging basment under existing building #7  
I used my BX23 to create a walk-out basement.

The existing crawl space ranged from 5' in one corner to 1' in two of the other 3 corners.

Due to footing issues, I limited the finished space to 7' 4" covering about 75%. I left one corner untouched and use it for storage.

/ diging basment under existing building #8  
Ductape:
My present house was done exactly like you describe about 50 years ago. the owner built a small man powered railway setup to haul out the dirt. the ramp became a drive under garage when he finished.

/ diging basment under existing building #9  
Besides the obvious collapse of the existing house, make sure you plan for adequate ventilation given the diesel fumes when using skidloaders/tractors.

If you are going to do it, might as well put in full 8' or 9' ceilings.

Good luck

/ diging basment under existing building #10  
A friends father-inlaw did his house in the 70s. He attached a back blade to a jeep and backed and drove out. He did a partial basement and did years ago and sadly he is gone. The house still stands though.

Dan