Dipper Stick snapped in half

/ Dipper Stick snapped in half #21  
The most important welds in the repair are the ones to go on the bottom of the dipper. These welds would have to be done out of position if the repair is to be done with the stick in place. It is more than worth your time to remove the boom so this repair can be done accurately and with the best chance of success. The first step to get the stick parts back in place after removing from the machine is to cut the remaining top section that is holding it together now. The realignment can then be done without fighting twisted, broken metal.

/ Dipper Stick snapped in half #22  
I have to agree that if it were me doing the welding, I'd want to have gravity on my side.

/ Dipper Stick snapped in half #23  
Doesn't really matter what experience level the guy doing the welding has. He will do better work 'in position' than out. And this is a job to be done once.

/ Dipper Stick snapped in half #24  
That's not too bad at all, I've seen and repaired worse.
As was said, leave it on the machine and use the hydraulics to pull it together, you might have to burn a few bits out of the way to get it to go back.
After it's welded, reinforce it with doublers making sure not to weld across the boom as it'll be a place to start cracking. You could tie your doubles into the factory ones.
If you have access to a brake get your doublers bent into a channell shape that'll wrap around the bottom and sides of the boom.....Mike

/ Dipper Stick snapped in half #25  
Eddie... I admire you and your father.

Being able to work together is what family is all about... it is a great thing you are doing.

I know too many seasoned citizens that have lost all meaning in life... kids live far away, nothing meaningful to do and no accomplishments to bring that feeling back.

Last spring, I planted 21 Redwood trees down in the ravine by the creek... someday, hope to have a nice little grove... Mom comes just about everyday with a small pail and waters them with water drawn from the creek... it gets her and her 11 year old Australian Shepard something to do and she is very conscientious and happy to do it.

We made lots of similar repairs at the machine shop... nothing that can't be repaired and even made stronger.

Taking it apart will allow the best fix...

Repair using the quick and dirty method will have you back working again in a few hours but the repair is almost sure to look crude...

/ Dipper Stick snapped in half #26  
I still vote to fix in place.

A come-a-long or the hydraulics of the hoe should have no trouble at all bending it back into place even cold.

If it were mine, I be back digging in just a few hours. Weld the crack solid, and fish plates out of the scrap pile on atleast the 3 sides that are torn.

But either way you go, our advice doesnt mean squat. Talk to whoever is going to do the repair. You have to make him happy. If he is comfortable fixing in place and will stand behind his work, do that. If he advises you take it appart, do that. What we think means nothing.

/ Dipper Stick snapped in half
But either way you go, our advice doesnt mean squat. Talk to whoever is going to do the repair. You have to make him happy. If he is comfortable fixing in place and will stand behind his work, do that. If he advises you take it appart, do that. What we think means nothing.

This is what I'm thinking. Listen to the expert and what he is comfortable with. I sent out a request on facebook and have several names to call. I have a great shop, and wont do anything until I talk to them and see what they say. I'm not in a rush, and don't mind waiting a few days before deciding on anything, or longer. I'm out of my comfort zone, which means I need to become comfortable with the repair, and how it will be done. For me, that takes time to educate myself and get an understanding of what my options are.

Thank you everyone for your advice. I REALLY appreciate it!!!!

Eddie

/ Dipper Stick snapped in half #28  
Since you have a "comfort zone shop" and trust their work, why look for another? Figure out how to get it to them, even if you have to call a rollback to pick it up and take it to them. (unless they don't want the work).
That little piece of metal left holding it together is already stressed, so don't put too much faith in it. Cut it out and match the pieces in line, prep the joints and start making bacon frying noises.
David from jax

(Or take it to somebody's shop, lol)

/ Dipper Stick snapped in half #29  
I still vote to fix in place.

A come-a-long or the hydraulics of the hoe should have no trouble at all bending it back into place even cold.

Yup, except I don't think you even need the come-a-long.

You've got a self contained, rolling frame machine with several powerful hydraulic cylinders capable of a whole range of motions to work with.
It would be a whole different storey if it were in 2 pcs.

You would need some strategically placed chains, and may or may not need a solid anchor, like a big tree
Doesn't matter what it looks like or even if it's not perfectly aligned IMO.
It's an older, probably somewhat loose hoe, no offense Eddie.

JB

/ Dipper Stick snapped in half #30  
Taking the arm off and getting to weld shop should not be a big problem. Just pull all the pins and let it fall clear the use your bucket to load it in truck or tariler. Hard part would be getting it remounted if you don't have a lift hoist. Just remove the bucket, chain dipper arm to the boom and take to the weld shop. Let them decide whether to remove or repair with it on. If they do remove they will remount it for you.