DirecTV Receivers

/ DirecTV Receivers #1  

Bird

Epic Contributor
A month ago I had Charter cable TV/Internet/telephone service installed and cancelled my DSL Internet/phone service and DirecTV satellite service. The DirecTV lady I talked to on the phone said she'd send a box for the receivers and to just leave the access cards in them. Then she changed her mind a bit and said it appeared that one of the receivers was old enough that they didn't want it back so she'd send an envelope for the access card.

The access card envelope arrived (made to hold up to 6 access cards), but no box. So after awhile, I called again and the man I talked to said they didn't want either receiver back; just the access cards. I told him I hated to just throw the receivers in the trash and he just laughed and said to keep them in case I came back to DirecTV. So I sent back the access cards, and I've already received a check for the credit I had on my account.

A son-in-law said I could try to sell the receivers on eBay and sure enough there are many of them listed on eBay from $10 up.

So I have an old model D10-300 (not HD) receiver and a model H21-100 (HD) receiver, two DirecTV universal remotes, and one DirecTV user guide and one remote user guide. They are old, but were all still working.

I don't want to sell them. I just want to be rid of them. What would you do?

/ DirecTV Receivers #2  
Bird,

I had the same problem. Goodwill will take them and send them to their electronics recycling facility.

/ DirecTV Receivers
Randy, Denton has two Goodwill stores and I've both donated, and bought, things there in the past. But I didn't think about them. That sounds like the thing for me to do this next week. Thanks for the information.

/ DirecTV Receivers #4  
When we canceled Directv, at first they wanted the boxes, then the realized that the boxes were around when Moses was watching TV, and they did not want the receivers. :shocked::laughing::laughing::laughing:

I still have the danged things. Guess I should see if the PTA store can gets some value out of them. The boxes are not HD so I don't think anyone wants them.

Later,
Dan

/ DirecTV Receivers #5  
The boxes are way old and no one will want them. They aren't of any value without a card.

/ DirecTV Receivers #6  
Bird, if it were me I'd hold on to that DirecTV equipment a little longer. We have a HD DirecTV receiver/recorder we use, but we have been paying $10 a month for our old standard DTV receiver/recorder for years while it's not even hooked up (the kids used it downstairs when they lived at home). So a month ago my wife called DTV and canceled the subscription on that unit. The DTV lady told her it was so old they do not want it back and it belongs to us. Last Friday my wife checked our DTV bill on line and they added $135 for non-return of receiver. She called them and some guy told her all receivers after 2002 belong to DTV and we owed them $135 for that unit. My wife, bless her hart would not give me the phone so I could talk to him. So needless to say she got it straightened out and they are sending a return box for our old receiver and dropping the $135 charge off the bill.

/ DirecTV Receivers
I did take all that stuff to Goodwill Friday, and the lady there sure took it all. If they can use or sell it, that's great. If not, well, I don't care what they do with it.

/ DirecTV Receivers
Bird, if it were me I'd hold on to that DirecTV equipment a little longer. We have a HD DirecTV receiver/recorder we use, but we have been paying $10 a month for our old standard DTV receiver/recorder for years while it's not even hooked up (the kids used it downstairs when they lived at home). So a month ago my wife called DTV and canceled the subscription on that unit. The DTV lady told her it was so old they do not want it back and it belongs to us. Last Friday my wife checked our DTV bill on line and they added $135 for non-return of receiver. She called them and some guy told her all receivers after 2002 belong to DTV and we owed them $135 for that unit. My wife, bless her hart would not give me the phone so I could talk to him. So needless to say she got it straightened out and they are sending a return box for our old receiver and dropping the $135 charge off the bill.

You got this posted at the same time I was posting that I'd already given Goodwill ours.:laughing: I've heard of such things happening, but I cancelled our subscription with DirecTV on Oct. 28. You know the billing is for a month in advance, and I always paid it promptly, so I've already received and cashed a refund check from DirecTV for $66.04. I don't know exactly how old those receivers were, but when I was looking for the model numbers, I noticed a "refurbished" sticker on the bottom of one of them. We'd just had those receivers and DirecTV service since 4/14/2008 and they had the original access cards in them (which I did send back). Both access cards showed signs of having been very hot; slight scorching.

I do have the names they gave of the two people who told me they didn't want the receivers, so needless to say, if they ask for them, or payment now . . . . they aren't likely to get any money from me.

/ DirecTV Receivers #9  

They did the same thing to me also. I wanted to load the box up with bricks, but the wife would no let me.

Sent from my iPhone using TractorByNet