Grading Dirt Work

/ Dirt Work
Thanks for all the good info! I will be leaving the pad a compacted lime stone sand base. With concrete going for $125 a yard my budget will not allow that. The limestone sand, we have around here compacts down very hard even under wet conditions. I use a sand floor in my barns and I have found them to work very well. I am planing on putting gutters on the building to channel water away. I hope to start on leveling the pad in the next few weeks if the weather holds. But with that being said I am excepting some very cold temps, so the ground may freeze up and stay that way for awhile.

/ Dirt Work #22  
Another technique that works well is to use a box blade with the scarifiers down to rip up the sod or break up hard ground. You're not really trying to move any dirt with the box blade... just loosen up the sod/soil. Then use the loader to scoop up and move the loosened up soil. Once you get that layer moved, make another couple passes with the box blade scarifiers and then scoop and move that layer. That way you are not trying to dig so much with the loader.

/ Dirt Work
Another technique that works well is to use a box blade with the scarifiers down to rip up the sod or break up hard ground.

I agree with you, there have been several people who have suggested box grader with teeth. My Tractor Supply has one for $599 for a 5 foot one with six teeth and the reviews on it are all five stars. I think with that and the loader I should be able to get my pad ready without too much trouble. Also the box grader will make a nice counterbalance on the back for the loader work.

/ Dirt Work #24  
I agree with you, there have been several people who have suggested box grader with teeth. My Tractor Supply has one for $599 for a 5 foot one with six teeth and the reviews on it are all five stars. I think with that and the loader I should be able to get my pad ready without too much trouble. Also the box grader will make a nice counterbalance on the back for the loader work.

With a 55 horse tractor, how much is a 6 foot box blade?:licking::thumbsup:

/ Dirt Work
With a 55 horse tractor, how much is a 6 foot box blade?:licking::thumbsup:

I checked Tractor's web site, $649 I was thinking of going with the 5 foot since it has more reviews and was thinking that I should be able to dig a bit deeper with a 5 foot blade then the six foot because of less ground resistance. Any thoughts?

/ Dirt Work #26  
Take advantage of the 55 hp you have and get the 6 foot box blade.

What is the width of your back tires? Your box blade should be as wide or wider.

/ Dirt Work #27  
I checked Tractor's web site, $649 I was thinking of going with the 5 foot since it has more reviews and was thinking that I should be able to dig a bit deeper with a 5 foot blade then the six foot because of less ground resistance. Any thoughts?

I have a 7 foot on my 5530 mahindra and it will pull it across the dirt like its not there!:cool:
If your tractor puts out 50 or more ponies I think the only thing you would have to do is add weight and it should have no problem.:thumbsup:

/ Dirt Work
The back tires are going to be filled before delivery. The back tire width is a about 6 1/2feet after the dealer moves out the wheels from their shipping position

/ Dirt Work #29  

Don't even fool with those box blades from TSC on a tractor that size. You will wreck it in short order unless you are very careful. They are meant for tractors about the size of my B3200 Kubota or Ford NAA. You need something name brand and heavy duty for that size tractor. Woods, Bush hog, Land Pride, etc are good places to start looking.

/ Dirt Work #30  
I would look at a minimum of 6.5' for your tractor.