Oil & Fuel Dirty oil

/ Dirty oil
Oops, manual says every 100 hours.

Thank you

/ Dirty oil #12  
Yep, the soot in the oil may or may not be an issue, if you are wondering about the condition of the oil, get an oil sample bottle from Blackstone Labs and have it tested.

/ Dirty oil #13  

Thank you

With unknown previous maintenance, if this was my tractor, I'd change at least the oil filter at 50 hours. Who am I kidding, I'd change the oil too, or I wouldn't sleep properly (just my OCD :rolleyes:, and :2cents:).

Rgds, D.

/ Dirty oil #14  
I have used the diesel in the oil trick with good results. In light of our new diesel I would only use a 50/50 diesel to oil mixture and do not put the engine under load.

/ Dirty oil #15  
The newer oils are designed to hold particulates in suspension until either you change the oil or the filter removes them. In theory if they're changed regularly you should see less sludge build-up. You may have to revise your oil change interval as a result, which is part of the reason Kubota wasn't enthused about using CJ-4 rated oils when they first came out. My manual advises NOT to use them, in fact. Funny that their own brand 10W30 meets CJ-4 standards now..

Sean

/ Dirty oil #16  
Glad you figured the "knob" out! The verbage knob kinda threw me. All is good! We trade tractors when he needs my backhoe and works in his back yard around his pool. The L3130 cannot fit back there too easily. I can do with his tractor a few things at my place twice as fast if we swap! But I LOVE my BX24!

/ Dirty oil #17  

Thank you
I'd go with manual and change engine oil and engine oil filters when the manual says to and then go to sleep feeling good.:D Well, I'd change them earlier if it took me a few years to get the 100 hours on the tractor.

/ Dirty oil #18  
Just be sure to use oil rated for diesel service.

/ Dirty oil
Thank you everybody.

There is a wealth of knowledge here and I appreciate your time in answering my questions.
I will probably use the Kubota about a 100 hours a year, so it should outlast me. So much nicer than my previous Ford 800 series.

Dale

/ Dirty oil #20  
About 7 years ago, I purchased a used 1976 Bolens G152 (diesel) Iskea that was well used but also ran well. The oil would turn black as soon as I changed the oil and filter, and I change it once each fall at the end of season...usually about 70 hours/year. Never got better after each change. Two years ago I purchased a new TYM 233. I follow the same practice, and so far it is staying very clean. Don't know what all that means, but I'd stick to regular changes of oil and filter.