3-Point Hitch Disc and plow OR Tiller

/ Disc and plow OR Tiller #11  
Thanks for those replies so far. I have been looking at used equipment, but haven't been able to find much locally (i.e. within 250miles). I am still debating what will be best in the long term. Even though I am doing a 100' square garden and about an acre of food plot this year, I am going to expand the food plot area next year to probably 3 acres. So in terms of seat time, I think that the tiller will definitely take longer next year. My concern with the tiller in general is that it will only cultivate the soil down to about 7", is that even something I should be concerned about?

Below 7 inches, I would not worry. Use a subsoiler for deeper soil penetration as needed. Ken Sweet

/ Disc and plow OR Tiller #12  
Even with a 16 bottom plow you are only going down 8" or so.
If you have compaction you can always get a ripper or subsoiler.

We use both tiller and plow/disc to do 3+ acres in vegetables and berries here in Central NY.

Plow disc is faster with virgin ground, tiller leaves a nicer seed bed and is probably faster with routinely planted ground.

For the money and ease tiller would be my first choice especially with the garden.
Food plots you may want to consider plow and disc if you start doing several acres or till it once then by a disc and disc as needed in subsequent years. Especially if you just intend to broadcast seed the plots.

/ Disc and plow OR Tiller #13  
I currently have about 8 acres for food plots. I use a old 3 bottom plow when to first open the ground then used a 7' 3 pt. disc to work the ground before planting. The disc is almost a waste of time and money, it's not heavy enough, even though it tips the scales at over 1,200lbs. I'm currently saving for a tiller, untill then I rent one.

/ Disc and plow OR Tiller #14  
I currently have about 8 acres for food plots. I use a old 3 bottom plow when to first open the ground then used a 7' 3 pt. disc to work the ground before planting. The disc is almost a waste of time and money, it's not heavy enough, even though it tips the scales at over 1,200lbs. I'm currently saving for a tiller, untill then I rent one.

Try putting a 6 or 8 inch well casing filled with concrete behind that disc. Wait until after a rain before you disc each time. That will make a world of difference. Ken Sweet

/ Disc and plow OR Tiller #15  
The answer you are looking for depends a lot on your soil type. With our smaller tractors clay is hard to work with a plow & disc. A tiller, although slow going, might work best. Just work it 4 to 5 inches deep and plant it. Medium to sandy soils is where I would prefer a plow. For working the lighter soils a spring tooth drag harrow will beat a small, lightweight disc. It breaks the soil up well with a few passes and leaves a nice level, smooth surface. No need to work the ground deeper than 4 or 5 inches after plowing it to 7" or 8". All you need to do is have a few inches of soft dirt so the seeds can germinate and get a good start.

/ Disc and plow OR Tiller #16  
Even with a 16 bottom plow you are only going down 8" or so.

That's what I was thinking. Someone mentioned 12-16" with a turning plow. We
have two turning plows, 2-16's and 4-16's. If you went down 16" with the 2-16's
you'd almost be in to the frame. Plus you'd probably need 75hp to pull it.

If one had to go with just one I think I'd go for a tiller.

/ Disc and plow OR Tiller
You know, I was thinking the same thing about the tiller versus the plow&disc, I have relatively harder/clay based soil here in CNY, and from what I saw this past fall with the neighbors tiller, I bounced along a bit. Getting down deep isn't necessary for planting, only the first 4" or so of the soil, so maybe a plow and disc isn't really needed. The A&B disc I am looking at is only 600lbs, which doesn't seem that heavy, considering I can only put so much downforce on the disc, the Kubota even with loaded tires, only tips the scales at 3300 lbs or so. As far as seed bed prep after the ground is prepped, I am planning on running a brillion crumbler/packer over it to smooth it out.

/ Disc and plow OR Tiller #18  
Food plots really do not need or require deep plowing. Disc plow is sufficient to get your food plot grains in the ground and germinated.

/ Disc and plow OR Tiller #19  
My experience with a 3pt 6.5' disc with an extra 500 pounds on it still wasn't very good on CNY soil.

it does get better as the ground is worked for more years