disc for food plots

/ disc for food plots #11  
Of course size will play a big factor. However we used a 3 tine chissel plow(assuming were talking about the same inplement) behind a JD4100 4x4(20HP) this year and it worked beautifull. I agree that a larger tractor will make things easier, but will it be needed next year and thereafter for maintenance? Just my thoughts, I'm sold on a compact 22-28HP for hunting properties.

/ disc for food plots #12  
Isn't it fun to spend someone elses money!

If we were talking unlimited budget, I'd say get yourself a 50 to 75 HP tractor, a tiller, a disc, a chisel plow, and all the rest of the goodies that've come up so far. But I don't recall hearing the "unlimited budget" decree.

So, Back to the original question. A 20 to 25 HP tractor will handle a 6' disc in UNPLOWED ground. It won't dig in far enough to bog you down. In plowed ground, you're gonna have a handfull. I'd stay with 4 to 5'. 3-point disc's aren't known for their deep penetration. That's primarily because they tend to be lighter weight. (Although there are some HEAVYweight 3-pointers around)

I'd forget any notion of using a chisel plow with anything smaller than 50 HP. (And then, you'd still need to stay relatively small) For no more ground that you're talking, a simple single-shank subsoiler would do the trick if you truely do need to rip open the soil. There's a difference between "being able to pull a given implement" and "pulling it on a sustained basis without trashing your tractor". Once again, you aren't talking hundreds of acres here.

One thing to remember. With a deer plot, you aren't after the maximum yields like a grain farmer would be. You don't need to do everything to optimum levels. Just getting a good, solid stand with your crop is enough.

If it were me, and I was starting off with a clean slate, I'd consider something like a Kasco Eco-drill (Kasco Mfg. Shelbyville, Indiana) (no-till planter) and a sprayer. Hit the areas with round-up. Then come back a few days later and no-till your "crop". Less wear and tear on the equipment, and you'll get every bit as good of a crop.

/ disc for food plots
I like the idea of spraying, then drilling the seed. Would the rocky ground damage the drill? I thought drills were very pricey. Don't know is we could afford several thousand $$ piece of equipment. Thanks for all the good advice. Could you frost seed next year to renew the crop?

/ disc for food plots #14  
Just to throw another idea to you, here is what people are doing with no-till and trying to spray less,
no-till roller
My fantasy, build one of these to mount in place of my front bucket with a drill on the 3 point. The Kasco eco-drill looks ideal, but $$.
Kasco supplier
I've linked to this supplier cause they list prices which the manufacturor doesn't.
One pass and you would knock down and kill your cover crop leaving it as mulch, then drill the seeds in underneath.
I'd love to find a cheaper alternative to the no-till drill.
Oh, this is my first attempt at posting links, hope it worked.
Cheers, Dennis

/ disc for food plots #15  
"the opinions will go from drag a brushy tree behind a 4 wheeler to you need a 90 hp tractor, 7 shank chisel plow and a 8' disc"
/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif That was my laugh for the day. Yes opinions vary on TBN!
To add to the post I pulled a 6' disc behind my 8N with no problems in wet plowed soil.
Dan