Disc Mower Again

/ Disc Mower Again #1  

Phred

Veteran Member
Tractor
TN70D, 4wd, 16x16 trans
Well guys I am still procrastinating about hay tools.
The current dilemma is a disc mower.
Three options:
1) Vicon CM2200
2) NH 462
3) RHINO RDM9

The Vicon and the NH appear to be solid bar designs. Meaning that the oil reservoir is the bar. Blow a disc and you loose oil to all of the discs and maybe loose the whole bar.
Still looking into the rhino design.

Most new designs use a segmented bar that alows you to repair each disc sperately. But a new one is at least 2x the cost of these used ones.

Any thoughts on the realitive merits of any of the above? All are fairly good shape.

Thanks for your help.

Fred

/ Disc Mower Again #2  
Hello Fred--A new concept is to have the 4 bolt pods removable for service under each rotor. JD and Fort have what is called "protecta" disc design for the pinion gear--This basically, is a neck cut in the pinion geat shaft just under the rotor--This will let a pinion shear off in the event of a major "Hit" and sacrafice a $69 pinion gear while giving protection to the internal gearing--A picture of this design can be seen on our website, if interested--Ken Sweet
Sweet Farm Equipment Co Disc Mower Page
cut_away_of_cutterbar.gif

/ Disc Mower Again #3  
Phred,
IMO,The Fort Disc mower Ken Sweet has shown you, has much more bang for the buck than any of the mowers you listed above.

/ Disc Mower Again
Guys,

Thanks for the feedback. The concept looks like a good one.
However, the cost is 2x the used units I am looking at.
I could buy a used one and and have some major repairs and still endup better off. Keep in mind it won't get that much use.

You are both experts in these machines. Any bad feedback on any of these three products?
I hear the vicon has a problem with the gear box welds breaking free from the bar after many years of use. Parts would also be harder.
The NH would be the easiest to get parts for.
Rhino?

Fred

/ Disc Mower Again #5  
I had a Vicon 7' (5-rotor) for a few years - the weak part was the thin gage material they used in forming the bottom plate. It actually rusted through from the outside and oil started leaking. Also broke 2 gears once - damaged the checkbook on that one.

I decided to sell it when it launched a golf-ball-size rock that took my hat off. Which brings up the issue of the tent. If it is in place, it's safer. But with it removed you can see what you're doing better - and avoid hitting stuff.

If this sounds like a lukewarm endorsement of disc mowers - it is.

/ Disc Mower Again
Dick,

I hear you. These things are great rock launchers. But the alternatives for hay are not atractive.
You can't buy a new sickle mower at most dealerships, expect on special order, for a reason.

Fred

/ Disc Mower Again #7  
Hello Fred--Unless you can purchase a used unit from a estate or neighbor that is going out? I would definitly not buy used--Sometimes, The used machines can cost 1000-1500 to rework,even if you use your labor. We have solld over 800 new disc mowers and almost all machines that the customer wants to trade in has had or is about to have a major failure. If you decide to buy used from a dealer, at least get some kind of limited warranty (2-3 weeks etc). When working within a budget, a lot of our customers consider the lower cost new drum mowers and new double action sickle bar mowers--both are about half the cost of a new disc mower and give very good results.-- Dealer "Trade ins" disc mowers of any brand are going for 300-800 locally at consignment sales--Most of Our local farmers have already been burnt on used disc mowers and are now sceptical and more knowledgable buyers-Be careful!! We have not seen any major rebuilt machines last more than 1 season (no matter who does the work)--Feel free to call me or send a private email. Glad to help in any way-- Ken Sweet
Sweet Farm Equipment Co.

/ Disc Mower Again #8  
I am a John Deere man through and through but by hay cutter is a New Idea. I have worked on and rebuilt several Kuhn gear driven mowers (John Deere cutters are a Kuhn painted green) over the years. My experience with these units is that when they fail, replace the cutter bar. If not, another failure is usually not far behind. In 1989 I saw an advertisement for a New Idea shaft drive unit. I was sold on the spot. I have been using this mower since 1989 without problems. I did however break one shaft and severely twist another one beyond use. My 9 ft cutter uses a shaft that costs about $200 and it takes about 2hrs to replace. When this cutter wears out I will buy another one just like it. I believe that the newer models use a bigger shaft that should be considerably stronger. Each cutter head is a separate unit that will not affect the other units if it should fail. On both occasions when I have had shaft failures I was able to finish cutting the field without further damage to the machine.

I would never consider buying another gear drive machine. I would also never consider buying a used hay cutter. These machines are far less forgiving than a Bushhog and you often cannot discern if the machine has been "rode hard and put up wet". If you cannot afford a new machine, save your money until you can!