Disc mower question

/ Disc mower question #41  
lightninboy said:
A 3-point disc mower is a possibility, but, then, why do some people prefer the Rebel trailing-type or put caddies on their 3-point disc mowers? I am presently using a trailing-type sicklebar mower and may trade for a new one instead of get a disc mower. It would be a lot safer as far as flying objects go.

People prefer the trailing type or the caddies because you can get away with a physcially smaller tractor as long as you have the power to turn the mower . . . but that said ESPECIALLY for the trailing type the ideal set up is a cab tractor. I think Mark from CCI said it, the 3pt. disc mower offers a bit more protection do to it's mounting position in relation to it's proximity to the tractors rear tire. On the otherhand if you are going to go with a trailed version on a non-cabbed tractor, why not just use a moco as far as the amount of danger your subjecting yourself too. The trailed version puts the mower a long way back behind the tractor.

That's only reason I brought up the possibiliy of choosing a 3pt model vs. what you were considering. Truth be told a haybine would be the best bet for safety and easy of use if that is what you are after.

/ Disc mower question #42  
The guy who rents alfalfa ground from me had a Kuhn swinging disc mo-co. A Kuhn seemed to cut neater than other brands and was a lot beefier. He ran that Kuhn full tilt with routine maintenance and no breakdowns for years until he finally had trouble too big to fix quickly and he got a John Deere self-propelled windrower with a disc mower on the front of it. He had the Kuhn mo-co break a cab window or two.

A 3-point disc mower may indeed offer 95% operator safety, especially if it is a Vermeer Gator with a Kevlar curtain, but it seems to me that the tractor is still vulnerable, and I don't feel like denting up a tractor.

/ Disc mower question #43  
lightninboy said:
The guy who rents alfalfa ground from me had a Kuhn swinging disc mo-co. A Kuhn seemed to cut neater than other brands and was a lot beefier. He ran that Kuhn full tilt with routine maintenance and no breakdowns for years until he finally had trouble too big to fix quickly and he got a John Deere self-propelled windrower with a disc mower on the front of it. He had the Kuhn mo-co break a cab window or two.

A 3-point disc mower may indeed offer 95% operator safety, especially if it is a Vermeer Gator with a Kevlar curtain, but it seems to me that the tractor is still vulnerable, and I don't feel like denting up a tractor.

I am somewhat partial to Kuhn mower due to the reliability that you've mentioned but also because of the parts/dealer support nearby.

But I have to say you have somewhat confused me as to what type of mower you are actually looking for. If not tossing rocks and debris at the tractor or operator are what you are saying (and that seems like that is what you are saying) than a haybine/sickle bar is what you want. MF makes a couple really nice ones that are center pivot just like many mocos. Either way any type of disc mower, trailed, 3pt. or moco is going to have the ability to toss rocks at you or your tractor.

/ Disc mower question #44  
I have always hated sicklebars, as I live in pocket gopher and badger country, but I am somewhat afraid of disc mowers, as I live in rock country.

/ Disc mower question #46  
lightninboy said:

The key to safety in using any piece of equipment is to stay with the intended mode of operation. If you mow a rock pile you should expect to hit some rocks. Clean your hayfields of debris and be careful if you are mowing your pasture with a disc mower. If your pasture is rough use a bush hog style cutter for clipping your pasture.

Make sure if your disc mower curtain is damaged and or old replace it. $250 for a new aftermarket curtain is cheap insurance.

Disc_mowe_curtain.JPG

/ Disc mower question #47  
lightninboy said:
I traded my Kosch trailing sicklebar mower for a Rowse trailing sicklebar mower today.
Post up some pics!