Disc Mower Questions & Caddy

/ Disc Mower Questions & Caddy #11  
I bale coastal bermuda, sometimes mixed with bahia. I bought a Kuhn SR110 speedrake when I bought the mower. Does an excellent job, and very fast.

Attachments

• IMG_0216.JPG
    IMG_0216.JPG
    184.6 KB · Views: 859
  • IMG_0214.JPG
    IMG_0214.JPG
    171.9 KB · Views: 723
   / Disc Mower Questions & Caddy #12  
ddivinia said:
I am starting my quest for a disc mower. I here there are different drive types, but I have not been able ti find info on the different types. I have been looking at the John Deere 275. Who makes this mower for John Deere? Does JD make it themselves?

My JD dealer is recommending the Krone AM283S. He says it is a better cutter. Comments?

I have a John Deere 5525 cab tractor (75 PTO HP).

I am also looking at the KMC mower caddy:

D.
If you are going to use the current Kuhn/JD or Krone 3 point disc mower on the KMC disc mower caddy you really need the optional hydraulic lift. You can make these mowers work without this option but you have to be careful because the inside skid shoe will dig into the ground. If you are using a 8 or 9 disc mower (10' and above), you likely should also add some leftside weight for stability. We have sold the disc mower caddy for 5 years now and it's drop a drawbar pin in and go is the #1 feature why customers purchase them.

/ Disc Mower Questions & Caddy #13  
ddivinia said:
Should I consider a MoCo?

Comments?

D.

That all depends on your useage. If you plan on doing alfalfa or any heavy stem grass hays then the conditioner will come in handy. I am not familiar with the type of grass you will be growing but the other guys who are say you don't need the conditioner so I would trust them.

One advantage of the MoCo is you don't have the height issue;)

/ Disc Mower Questions & Caddy #14  
Jesse, very nice setup. When you say you can hook up your cutter easy once its setup, How easy do you mean? Do you have a particular way of parking it on a stand or something? Reason I ask is, my buddy doesn't hardly bother cussing and fighting his in position unless his FORKLIFT is broke. Yes, he uses a Clark forklift to help position it so he can hook up the 3 pt. He would like to have a caddy but keeps needing other stuff more.

Robert, the coastal Bermuda we have dries quick. Some folks cut 1 morning, if its hot enough they'll rake and bale next evening.

/ Disc Mower Questions & Caddy #15  
Hi Kyle, it would be kind of fun to try and grow Costal Bermuda up here along Lake Erie but I don't think it would like our winters very much. And we don't get the hot dry weather to help dry things down quick. We have a lot of humidity usually and cooler weather so most of our grass hays take 3-4 days from cut to bale.

/ Disc Mower Questions & Caddy #16  
I built a stand out of treated lumber so the mower stays off the ground. As long as it stays level I don't have any trouble hooking it up.

/ Disc Mower Questions & Caddy
CCI said:
If you are going to use the current Kuhn/JD or Krone 3 point disc mower on the KMC disc mower caddy you really need the optional hydraulic lift. You can make these mowers work without this option but you have to be careful because the inside skid shoe will dig into the ground. If you are using a 8 or 9 disc mower (10' and above), you likely should also add some leftside weight for stability. We have sold the disc mower caddy for 5 years now and it's drop a drawbar pin in and go is the #1 feature why customers purchase them.

Thanks for the info. I am looking at them for the convience factor. I have heard they can be a real pain to hitch up.

I am looking a 9'2" mower. I was debating the extra weight, I guess I don't need it.

It sounds like the lift cylinder is a must.

Do you guys sell the KMC? Are all mower caddys created equal?

D.

/ Disc Mower Questions & Caddy #18  
ddivinia said:
Thanks for the info. I am looking at them for the convience factor. I have heard they can be a real pain to hitch up.

I am looking a 9'2" mower. I was debating the extra weight, I guess I don't need it.

It sounds like the lift cylinder is a must.

Do you guys sell the KMC? Are all mower caddys created equal?

D.
We sell THe Bulldog made here in TN but they are basically the same caddy.
Bulldog_002.jpg

/ Disc Mower Questions & Caddy
How much are they?

D.

/ Disc Mower Questions & Caddy #20  
I use the Mo-Co -- if you actually read the manual, you can really dial it in and bale the next day with a raking in the late morning. Adjust it for the right crop too. I normally make the hedgerows really wide and low with it. I run a 5520, no problem for it, except for real steep inclines: the engine chugs down until at the top of the hill and resumes, remarkably still cuts fine..
But I don't think you have many steep hills anyway.
Replacing the knives are easy if you have a nice pulse wrench a good inverter or a long steel pipe. I've heard of people grinding down worn knives too.

I've never seen a krone or a kuhn mower around me (Hudson Valley, NY) only NH and JD and around here the MoCo's work the best.