Disc Mowers on Steep Angles

/ Disc Mowers on Steep Angles #1  

dkhntr04

Silver Member
Tractor
Deere 3720 Cab
I'm looking at used AGCO/New Idea disc mowers (particularly New Idea 5406/5407) for mowing my driveway ditch and dike. I'm currently mowing these with my CTV28 and a 5' brush hog, but I'm looking for a way to keep from pushing the envelope on side-slopes especially with the Deere 3720 cab I have on the way. I'm looking at purchasing a used 5'6" mower to use in conjunction with the 3720.

Most of where I would cut is in the 20-27 degree range from horizontal. Reading the literature from ACGO, they call for 0-6 degrees recommended cutting angle. Will running a disc mower at these steep of angles over long periods cause damage or problems?

Thanks.

Last edited:
   / Disc Mowers on Steep Angles #2  
I can't answer you question about a disk mower but have you considered a sickle bar mower. They are more commonly used in that situation.

MarkV

/ Disc Mowers on Steep Angles #3  
I dont know what brand it was, but the town I grew up in used disc mowers for ditchbank mowing. I imagine that the Agco restriction is based on the oil all running to one end and leaving the "uphill" end un-lubricated.

I can't answer you question about a disk mower but have you considered a sickle bar mower. They are more commonly used in that situation.
The advantage to a disc mower is that if you hit a rock, blades are very cheap and easy to replace. Not so much with a sickle bar mower. Also, a disc mower can cut at a MUCH faster ground speed than a sickle bar mower.

Aaron Z

/ Disc Mowers on Steep Angles #4  
I'm looking at used AGCO/New Idea disc mowers (particularly New Idea 5406/5407) for mowing my driveway ditch and dike. I'm currently mowing these with my CTV28 and a 5' brush hog, but I'm looking for a way to keep from pushing the envelope on side-slopes especially with the Deere 3720 cab I have on the way. I'm looking at purchasing a used 5'6" mower to use in conjunction with the 3720.

Most of where I would cut is in the 20-27 degree range from horizontal. Reading the literature from ACGO, they call for 0-6 degrees recommended cutting angle. Will running a disc mower at these steep of angles over long periods cause damage or problems?

Thanks.

I think that 0-6 degrees is fore and aft (not side-to-side) and is also called blade pitch or bar tilt.

/ Disc Mowers on Steep Angles #5  

Thanks.

Be careful! Lost a good neighbor a few years ago doing exactly what you describe with a disc mower. Mowing his road bank and the heavy cutter bar hanging out to the right caused the tractor to slide off over the bank and turn over. Ken Sweet

/ Disc Mowers on Steep Angles
Thanks for the input. i called a freind who has a New Idea 5409. He said each of the blade units have a separate sump for the drive gears, and they are filled with grease. No lube problems there. He uses his to mow miles of road ditch edges on farm fields.

Armed with that info, I went and picked up a used 5406 5'6" disc mower near me that is in very good shape. Price was very right, so If I feel the need to go to a sickle due to weight I should be able to without much if any $$ hit. Thanks for the safety warning Ken, I will keep that in the forefront of my mind when working.