3-Point Hitch Disconnecting 3 point tiller

/ Disconnecting 3 point tiller
Still no movement!

Thanks for all the help, folks. I actually was still learning from all the comments, so I really appreciate your input. This was my first real post and you all made me comfortable enough that I'll come back to bug you some more!!! Have a great day

/ Disconnecting 3 point tiller #12  
Any chance that pin is a shear pin and the actual release mechanism is one of the pull collar types?

PTO Shaft.jpg

Picture credit: tawilson

Last edited:
   / Disconnecting 3 point tiller #13  
I assume you put it together so you'd know if it had a bolt or something in place of the pin.

why don't you take some photos (both sides of the pin).

I fear that pounding on it with a bigger hammer, you'll break something, or mushroom the head or something. New PTO shafts are more expensive than they seem like they should be.

Any possibility the pin is already pressed in?

The question comes back to how it got stuck. Could the PTO shaft have been too long and it got jammed together? Or not enough lubrication everywhere? Try tapping the shaft together or or apart slightly. And, of course, use some WD40 on the pin and shaft if you didn't have enough lube on the shaft.

/ Disconnecting 3 point tiller #14  
I'll agree with several others, thinking your shaft bottomed out and put pressure on the pin. Even with the tiller off and the shaft in two, there still could be a bind on the pin from the splines on the pto shaft. If it's possible, you could try to pry outward on the knuckle then push in the pin.

This post has reminded me to take a can of WD out, I think I'll duct tape it to a chain on the tractor so I can alway find it!

Good luck.

Jim

/ Disconnecting 3 point tiller #15  
Any chance that pin is a shear pin and the actual release mechanism is one of the pull collar types?

View attachment 314679

Picture credit: tawilson

That occurred to me, also. But the OP put it on. My wife's cousin loaned me a tractor with tiller & PTO attached. It was my first ever PTO disconnect. He told me it was a pin. I had to look on here to discover there ain't no pin, it was a pull collar!

To the OP - After liberal WD40 try a LITTLE heat. Use a butane torch BUT BE SURE NOT TO MELT ANYTHING. Then apply some Kroil Amazon.com: kroil

Last edited:
   / Disconnecting 3 point tiller #16  
That occurred to me, also. But the OP put it on. My wife's cousin loaned me a tractor with tiller & PTO attached. I was my first ever PTO disconnect. He told me it was a pin. I had to look on here to discover there ain't no pin, it was a pull collar!

To the OP - After liberal WD40 try a LITTLE heat. Use a butane torch BUT BE SURE NOT TO MELT ANYTHING. Then apply some Kroil Amazon.com: kroil

If you do the heat/flame thing be sure to have a fire extinguisher handy (like in your other hand).

I now have photos. Still no budging.

Attachments

• image-2964796557.jpg
    image-2964796557.jpg
    478.6 KB · Views: 285
  • image-907033623.jpg
    image-907033623.jpg
    509.6 KB · Views: 251
  • image-4232603403.jpg
    image-4232603403.jpg
    529.3 KB · Views: 235
  • image-3529759580.jpg
    image-3529759580.jpg
    605.7 KB · Views: 239
It's OFF !!! Thank you , everyone! Triple Rs Bigger Hammer! MORE FORCE!!! Also sitting around talking with my older, 77, brother in law, watching WD 40 sink in, Did it!
Pin goes through to other side. There must be a problem with the pin because it still won't pop out. Have a great night. This 68 year old is going to hook up the Bush Hog with a well greased PTO and cut some pasture!

Pin stuck in down

Attachments

• image-2584020945.jpg
    image-2584020945.jpg
    642.8 KB · Views: 277
   / Disconnecting 3 point tiller #20  
It looks pretty standard.
Clean, not rusty.
Likely the reason the C Clamp didn't work is that the pin has to be pushed all the way through. So, a clamp just holds it in place, unless you make a custom clamp with a hole in the bottom or figure out how to get the clamp on so it doesn't hinder the pin movement.

That is a pretty big hammer.
You've obviously whacked it a few times as the dents are obvious.

The spring, of course, is designed to pop the pin back out, so normally you would hold it in as you remove the shaft. So, the hammer should just be used to loosen it, then one would normally hold the pin down with one's thumb. I.E. You don't pound it in like a nail.

I'm not sure what would happen if you bend the pin, but it would certainly be a pain.

As you TAP it with a much smaller hammer than you have, you don't feel anything move on the other side?