Discovered my Kubota F3080 has a horn!

/ Discovered my Kubota F3080 has a horn!
A lot of mechanics would not recommend running the engine with the hood up when it is hot as you are not getting the correct air flow, kinda by-passing the radiator with the hood raised.
Interesting idea since it had over heated with the correct air flow and when I raised the hood the temp came down. Makes me skeptical of that or those mechanics your referring to.:)

/ Discovered my Kubota F3080 has a horn! #12  
Interesting idea since it had over heated with the correct air flow and when I raised the hood the temp came down. Makes me skeptical of that or those mechanics your referring to.:)

A quick study of under the hood and it is obvious the hood has nothing to do with the airflow through the radiator.

A quick study of under the hood and it is obvious the hood has nothing to do with the airflow through the radiator.
On the F models, the hood covers the engine and the front part (behind the drivers seat) has small holes which let the air through, if they are not covered with grass, which mine was. Raising the cover(hood) lets air flow through the radiator thus cooling the engine. There are also some holes on the sides of the cover. The down side of the F model with the rear discharge deck is the grass blowing up and covering/blocking the holes in the cover.

Attachments

• IMG_0472.jpg
    IMG_0472.jpg
    669.2 KB · Views: 251
  • IMG_0474.jpg
    IMG_0474.jpg
    684.3 KB · Views: 455
  • IMG_0475.jpg
    IMG_0475.jpg
    721.2 KB · Views: 301
  • P1060764.JPG
    P1060764.JPG
    999.7 KB · Views: 404
   / Discovered my Kubota F3080 has a horn! #14  
On the F models, the hood covers the engine and the front part (behind the drivers seat) has small holes which let the air through, if they are not covered with grass, which mine was. Raising the cover(hood) lets air flow through the radiator thus cooling the engine. There are also some holes on the sides of the cover. The down side of the F model with the rear discharge deck is the grass blowing up and covering/blocking the holes in the cover.

Sorry, I didn't state it very well. The hood on the F tractors acts a the radiator screen but whether the hood is on or not does not affect if the fan draws air through the radiator.:eek:

/ Discovered my Kubota F3080 has a horn! #15  
The owners manual for my 4240 shows the optional horn button in the center of the steering wheel, tried it, it's not there. Don't know if there's a horn under the hood though. I guessed that only the cab models get the horn.

Sorry, I didn't state it very well. The hood on the F tractors acts a the radiator screen but whether the hood is on or not does not affect if the fan draws air through the radiator.:eek:
I must not be stating myself very clear. When the screen (hood with holes) is clogged with grass then air can not be drawn across radiator. The air is stopped by the holes being solid with grass. My screen (hood with holes) was clogged with grass and raising the hood immediately allowed air to be moved across the radiator thus lowering the temp as shown by the temp guage reading going back down to normal. When the temp came back down, I wiped the grass off of the vent holes on the hood and let the hood back down. It then allowed air to come thru the vent holes that were no longer solid with grass plugging the vent holes. With the grass on the hood it had become a solid cover that had no way of allowing very much air into the engine compartment.

/ Discovered my Kubota F3080 has a horn! #17  
I must not be stating myself very clear. When the screen (hood with holes) is clogged with grass then air can not be drawn across radiator. The air is stopped by the holes being solid with grass. My screen (hood with holes) was clogged with grass and raising the hood immediately allowed air to be moved across the radiator thus lowering the temp as shown by the temp guage reading going back down to normal. When the temp came back down, I wiped the grass off of the vent holes on the hood and let the hood back down. It then allowed air to come thru the vent holes that were no longer solid with grass plugging the vent holes. With the grass on the hood it had become a solid cover that had no way of allowing very much air into the engine compartment.

Yep...I got that. Picture taking the hood right off. The fan would still draw through the radiator. I realize the hood is the screen too but what I am saying is. The hood is not required for the fan to draw through the radiator. Some machines need the hood to direct the airflow through the radiator. That is what I believe the other fellows comment was referring to.

Yep...I got that. Picture taking the hood right off. The fan would still draw through the radiator. I realize the hood is the screen too but what I am saying is. The hood is not required for the fan to draw through the radiator. Some machines need the hood to direct the airflow through the radiator. That is what I believe the other fellows comment was referring to.
OK. Guess I'm talking about going in the door and your talking about walking out the same door. You and the other fellow are right, the hood isn't reuired to pull air thru radiator but the hood has to be removed or cleaned when it become covered with grass or no air can come thru radiator thus killing the F Kubota engine. I think we are now on the same track.

/ Discovered my Kubota F3080 has a horn! #19  
My B7800 has done this on several ocasions when I have been running the rotary cutter in tall grass and the grille gets all covered up with leaves and debris. Very nice safety feature. It always gives me the impression of an alarm.