DISCOVERY OF THE DAY

/ DISCOVERY OF THE DAY #1  

ehchvac

Bronze Member
Tractor
kubota L3400
I always wanted rubber feet for my bx24 backhoes outriggers, but, being cheap i tried or looked at a million differant type of rubber chunks to fit the bill.
Well, a couple of weeks ago I happened to notice the rubber bumpers that are on loading docks, the ones meant to keep you from damaging the dock while backing in a semi truck.
They are the right size and shape, are pre drilled with recessed holes and if you look on ebay "as I did" you can buy a half a dozen for about $3.00 a piece.
Those are todays words of wisdom.

/ DISCOVERY OF THE DAY #2  
wow.. nice. I need a couple. i ended up making feet for mine out of 6x6 timber for lack of finding good rubber pieces.

soundguy

/ DISCOVERY OF THE DAY #3  
How heavy (pounds) are each of those? Might make good weights for back of ZTR!

/ DISCOVERY OF THE DAY
those dock bumpers that i picked up weigh about 5-6 lbs each.
they are about 5"x8" and 3-1/2" thick.
there seems to be a lot of differant types and sizes out there.
these are just like the ones i got on ebay.
they are about 3/4 of the way down the page.

Vestil - Dock Bumpers
Trailer and Crane Bumpers
part # tb-90

Last edited:
   / DISCOVERY OF THE DAY #5  
The Vestil website that you listed was a great idea in regards to those of us that may have the possible need of some of their products. Thanks. Happy tractoring.:tractor::tractor:

/ DISCOVERY OF THE DAY #6  
I made these for setting on concrete or asplalt but I really like your dock bumper discovery. In your reasearch, have you found any 5"x12" pieces? What's your tool plan on cutting to size and producing holes?
If anything, I can use my wood pads for templates.:cool:

Attachments

• P1210461.JPG
    P1210461.JPG
    152.5 KB · Views: 460
   / DISCOVERY OF THE DAY #7  
Car or truck tires work good for bumpers, as thick as you want, just glue and drill holes to fit.

/ DISCOVERY OF THE DAY #8  
Construction equipment industry has been using these pads for years as "street pads". Only difference is they 2 - 3 times the price from a dealer to get them with bolt pattern you need. There are many variations in sizes out there, just find the one that fits you BH pad the best then drill holes in the angle iron mount to fit.

/ DISCOVERY OF THE DAY
the first set i made was out of a rubber wheel chock cut up to maximize the size and pieces i wanted.
i drilled them for recessed fender washers with a self feeding wood bit in my drill press.
you can also get pretty fat wide rubber from highway plow rubber cutting edges, some of that is 1-1/2" x 10", you could stack it to get the sizes you are looking for, but that doesnt come cheap.
the rubber dock bumpers were $3.00 each on ebay.
and i almost forgot another cheap idea i had was stall mats, i have a bunch of them but didnt want to get into laminating rubber together to get the thickness i wanted.
1 stall mat could make a bunch of them if you were wanted to work for it, and stall mats a super cheap.

Last edited:
   / DISCOVERY OF THE DAY #10  
I wonder if the chunks of truck tire retread I see along the highway would work?