DISCOVERYS OF UNSAFE TRACTORING PRACTICES

/ DISCOVERYS OF UNSAFE TRACTORING PRACTICES #1  

escavader

Veteran Member
Tractor
bx-23 ,
Have you ever taught yourself,things on the tractor that you shouldnt do ,because it aint safe.I learned this this summer on the backhoe on my bx-
1 keep your feet in the operators station because you can pinch them with the hoe ,and/or stabilizers
2 be carefull not to catch your clothes on the joy sticks mounting and dis mounting..idle to a crawl or shut down is probly safer.
3 when removing long culverts with a hoe,when you swing sideways,the end will hit your tractor.The toolbox on my tractor looked like a grenade went off,tools went everywhere.Box was mounted beside steering wheel!

SO WHATS YOUR SELF DISCOVERED SAFETY TIPS?
ALAN

/ DISCOVERYS OF UNSAFE TRACTORING PRACTICES #2  
When driving through the bush on a tractor that normally (but not this time) has duals on the back, your axles stick out further than the wheels.

Oh yes...Oak trees are pretty solid axle stoppers. :eek:

/ DISCOVERYS OF UNSAFE TRACTORING PRACTICES #3  
I vine wrapped in a tree will lift the back end of your tractor when rapped around the FEL. I thought the tractor was heavy enough to pulll it out....nope. Almost p**ped myself.:D

I am amazed at what a small, well wrapped vine can hold.

/ DISCOVERYS OF UNSAFE TRACTORING PRACTICES #4  
Rotary cutters will not cut everything :eek:

/ DISCOVERYS OF UNSAFE TRACTORING PRACTICES #5  
1. Yellow Jackets fly faster than Yanmars in high gear
2. A downed apple tree on a slope, given the right angle, will cause a small tractor to go up on two wheels
3. A snapped ratchet strap whizzing by your head sounds like a bullet :eek:
4. If you think it might be a bad idea, it probably is.

/ DISCOVERYS OF UNSAFE TRACTORING PRACTICES #6  
kwolfe said:
I vine wrapped in a tree will lift the back end of your tractor when rapped around the FEL. I thought the tractor was heavy enough to pulll it out....nope. Almost p**ped myself.:D

I discovered that last winter when grubbing .66 acres

/ DISCOVERYS OF UNSAFE TRACTORING PRACTICES #7  
When shopping for an old used tractor that's been sitting in the weeds for 10 years, check the brake function BEFORE you try out Hi range/5th gear.

There is no roller coaster in the world that...............EEEEEEEEEOOOOOOOOWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

/ DISCOVERYS OF UNSAFE TRACTORING PRACTICES #8  
kwolfe said:
I vine wrapped in a tree will lift the back end of your tractor when rapped around the FEL. I thought the tractor was heavy enough to pull it out....nope. Almost p**ped myself.:D

Now you know what Tarzan knows. :)
I did something similar. There was a small Oak branch (3" dia) in the way of my canopy so I reached up with the fel and grapple to tear is off. It lifted the front of my 55hp Kama off the ground!!! Was I surprised:confused: Don't use your fel grapple in place of a chain saw.

/ DISCOVERYS OF UNSAFE TRACTORING PRACTICES #9  
kwolfe said:

And I might add that 3 or 4" trees that you hit with the FEL will bend at times and not break which basically lifts the front of the tractor off the ground causing an immediate awareness on the operators part :eek:

I might add, negating any benifit of FWA ! ;) :)

/ DISCOVERYS OF UNSAFE TRACTORING PRACTICES #10  
My son taught me this one: Last summer was terribly dry in S. Illinois and our pond level dropped about two feet. This exposed about 50 feet more shore on a shallow area of the pond and my middle son thought he would push up some dirt ramps to jump on his four wheeler on this newly exposed area. While he was turning the tractor around he ran against a fence row and noticed he had wrapped a vine around the rear axle. He leaned WAAYYY over the side of the fender and was tugging on the vine and pulled himself off the tractor, naturally his foot came off the clutch and the tractor started idling toward the pond. I heard him yelling and I came out of the garage just in time to see it hit the water line and slowly idle into the water and submerge until it finally hydrolocked. MAN was I upset with him!! My wife quickly reminded me that he could have been run over or somehow drowned thus saving him and his back side from me and I still thank God regularly that he wasn't hurt or killed. End of story is a new #3 rod and I'm back in business.