Dish or Direct TV

/ Dish or Direct TV #11  
I had Direct, then Dish. Initially I thought lost signal less with Dish when there was a weather problem. Now, I'm not so sure. Dish as had to come and make repairs at least three times in the past two years. Once was free, but there was a charge for two visits I remember. I kind of think it's a cra_pshoot either way you go, depending on where you live.

/ Dish or Direct TV #12  
I have diretv, last time I researched it dish does not broadcast in true hd. Dish is 780i and directv is 1080p. I have only lost signal when the dish was snow covered (quick fix with a broom). In 3 yrs I have never had a problem or failure.
Btw, you can record off air w/dvr with no problem. Handy app on my phone lets me set recordings etc when i'm not home.

/ Dish or Direct TV #13  
I've had both. Dish's DVR would constantly fritz and dump all programming on it. Went to TiVo and solved that problem. Now I am with direct and can't really think of any issues I've had in the past 4 years besides weather. Regardless of DVR, get a battery backup on it, it's worth it.

/ Dish or Direct TV #14  
Dish customer for about 11 years now. Occasionally had problems with bad weather messing up signal, mainly really heavy rain or wind blowing nearby branches in the way. Our first year was a special deal, only $8 or so per month. After that the normal rate of ~$30 kicked in. It's since slowly increased to just over twice that - but, I think all of the bills have done that. We just upgraded to HD (Vip722k) a few months ago, and they kinda jerked me around on that. Two different people, on separate days, told me the bill would not increase, but, guess what.. it did. Some sort of DVR service fee which I did not have before, even though I had a DVR. Evidently my original DVR was so old that it was grandfathered in or something. They gave me a break on the monthly bill for a while to make up for the bad info. What really irked me about this is when we were making the switch to HD, we looked at the competition (Directv, cable) but decided to stick with Dish. The decision was made with bad information. I never checked to see if the extra fee would have made a difference in the decision or not. Too late now, we're stuck in a 2yr contract due to the 'free' upgrade.

Something that I've not tried myself, but have heard people really happy with - get something like a Roku box and a netflix/amazon/hulu streaming account, assuming you have a good internet connection. Much lower cost.

Keith

/ Dish or Direct TV #15  
We've been on direct t.v since we moved here about 8 years ago.

Sometimes we lose the signal in bad weather.

Overall, can't complain about the service, but it's like $65 a month for the basic package (yes, you'll get a great deal when you sign up though). I loved it when they tried to up sell me a couple of years ago and for only $100 plus a month, and I could have a godzillion channels. I asked the lady why would I want to do that when I pretty much watch only 4 channels the way it is?

Way I see it, grass is greener on the other side. Each company will promise you the world and give you a great deal, but once they have you, they figure it's too much of a pain to switch. That pretty much my case at least:laughing:

/ Dish or Direct TV #16  
Do a search on this subject. I'm not gonna relive bad memories of dishnetwork. If dishnetwork was the last tv company on the planet I would never watch tv again.

/ Dish or Direct TV #17  
I really don't think it makes any difference which one you get.

I had DirecTV when I lived out in the country; got it in the days when I bought the stuff from Circuit City and installed it myself. When we bought this place in 2005, the phone company said they could arrange Dish satellite service all on the same bill, so we tried Dish for nearly 3 years.

Generally, I liked Dish and their guide format. But after a little over a year, the receiver died. They sent me a new one at no cost for the receiver but $14.95 shipping and handling.:mad: And then when the receiver died again, I got an idiot for a service rep on the phone. He decided the problem was the remote control and wanted to sent me a new remote control, with me paying for it of course. Now I don't know much about this stuff, but I sure knew enough to know that a new remote control wouldn't help.

So nearly 3 years ago, we changed to DirecTV. When a receiver died, they sent me a new one at no cost with detailed instructions that weren't even close to being right, but a young lady on the phone figured out how to make it work. We're satisfied with DirecTV service and performance . . ., but . . . every 6 months to a year, they go up on the price. I call and they decide they'll give me a discount for 12 months. Last year, the first person I talked to transferred me to a "customer retention" agent who gave me the discount. The first of this year, the first young lady I talked to said she could do that. But when I got the bill, I found that she had not done it. I called again and the young man I got offered the original discount for 12 months, or double the discount for 6 months (which I accepted).

So we have DirecTV for another 6 months. After that, I don't know.:laughing: I'm getting 2 or 3 letters a month from Charter Communications wanting to sell us cable service.:laughing:

/ Dish or Direct TV #18  
problems with both, with install and usage.

it has been a few years since i had either one.

frankly got tired of both and went for netflix and high speed internet.

it was the same old re-runs regardless of who you went with even cable. atleast with netflix and 8 movies out at a time. i could watch what i wanted. vs some random re-run.

if i want to watch a new movie that badly vs waiting 2 more months for netflix to get it. then i will go rent it.

if you have a local blockbuster. it might be worth while for a blockbuster online rent and do the local blockbuster coupon thing at same time for new movies.

We had Dish and found ourselves scanning thru the channels ... "seen that, seen that, seen that" then the wife started buying DVD's at the pawn shop .. $2 a piece, have a cabinet full of movies ... now I save the monthly fee and when I go to the DVD cabinet ... I am saying "seen that"

/ Dish or Direct TV #19  
don't have either anymore,too dang much for the same old garbage.Between hulu,dvd swapping with others and a one time investment in a larger ant. to pick up off air 12 channels theres plenty to watch.My sat dish bill savings now mostly go to the grand kids ed. fund.:)Dave

/ Dish or Direct TV #20  
DIrect TV and have had no problems.
one of our local channels keeps running a ticker that tells you to call DISH if you still want to view this station. Apparently DISH is wanting to drop the local station.